Getting ready for the upgrade, but have some questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
OK, I've been lurking on here for a little bit trying to figure out whether or not I should even bother "upgrading;" many people on here seem to be having nothing but issues after moving to 10.6 while others couldn't be happier. It seems that what is going on is that those who are having issues are by and large those that did the "upgrade in place" thing rather than just repaving and starting with a fresh install. I plan on upgrading in place first and giving it a couple days to see what effects, if any, there are; I'm hoping my system is relatively new enough that this goes smoothly. But, I just made a backup for the first time, and am wondering: Can I use Time Machine to restore my settings, programs, and files to a fresh SL install from my current Leopard install? I'm new to the Mac, and new to Time Machine, so I have no idea what the capabilities and limitations of the backup scheme are. I've only had my MBP for a month now, but have grown quite fond of what I have, and would like to avoid having to rebuild from scratch.
Also, I've installed the developers toolkit and macports and compiled some things from there. Is this something I will have to do again regardless of what strategy I use to upgrade, or will Time Machine take care of that for me as well?
Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I backed up my whole computer (which had leopard 10.5.8) using time machine backup. I had apple apps as well as 3rd party apps, as well as all my music, photos, documents, etc.
I did the clean install (erase my hard disk using disk utility when booted from snow leopard install disc), and then when the option came up after installation "transfer information from time machine back up", ticked the box, continued on to specify that I want all my apps, files, folders, settings, etc.
Everything ran like clockwork, and lost nothing!
It looks just like it did before the clean install, except I now have more free space on my HD, everything's moving faster, and a few extra features that didn't exist before :)

Hope this is helpful

*If you have any probs, let me know!

[email protected]

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
Perfect Kane, thank you. That confirms that this is how I want to do the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.