Cannot install on Internal HD

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Long time viewer, finally decided to register :Smirk:

My MBP had been running 10.4 on an upgraded HD (320gb, WD). For the past 2 weeks, 10.6 has been running off an external HD (160gb, WD) because I cannot install Snow on the internal HD.
I run the installer DVD from startup (holding C key), and when it asks where to install the OS, it does not list the internal HD, but only the optical drive and external HD (if connected). Disk Utility from Installer also reflects this.

The internal HD appears 'active' (in finder, disk utility) once the OS has booted from the external HD.

I have tried numerous suggestions such as:
Waiting
Re-formatted internal HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Partitioned into 2 volumes (100gb & 220gb), map scheme ''GUILD Partition Table''

Any more ideas and suggestions are welcomed.. please feel free to ask more q's as I may have left something out.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even though you've reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), have you tried booting from installation disc, in utilities choosing the erase HD option (Clean Install)?
Perhaps even removing partition, then trying again if that doesn't work, and then later on, adding partition if you need it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Even though you've reformatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), have you tried booting from installation disc, in utilities choosing the erase HD option (Clean Install)?
Perhaps even removing partition, then trying again if that doesn't work, and then later on, adding partition if you need it?

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, no deal. :Angry-Tongue:

I booted from the installation disc, and when the installer screen prompted me where to install, there was still no hd. I quit the installer, selected the startup disc (external hd), and when I opened up Finder the hard drive WAS visible.

I also removed the partition and have re-booted from the installation disc.

Have ALSO tried installing from desktop, where I can ACTUALLY select the hard drive. It starts installing as normal, but when it reaches around 30%, the MBK reboots itself with installation incomplete..

ARRGGH! HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what if you swap the drives? put the smaller 10.6 drive as an internal, format the other bigger drive so you wipe everything and then install a fresh os ... if you completely wipe a drive and then boot from your installation disks, it should be able to install the system :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Im not sure if you got me from your response, but before trying to install, in the menu bar did you go to utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase ?

OP
B
Reaction score
what if you swap the drives? put the smaller 10.6 drive as an internal, format the other bigger drive so you wipe everything and then install a fresh os ... if you completely wipe a drive and then boot from your installation disks, it should be able to install the system :D

Sorry not too sure what you mean? SOrrry? again? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this..

Im not sure if you got me from your response, but before trying to install, in the menu bar did you go to utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase ?

Just to clarify things.. OSX SL installer disc cannot recognise the internal HD on my MBP when I boot from installer disc ('C' on startup), therefore, it does not provide any options in Disc Utility for THAT HD.
The external USB HD is recognised and appears in disc utility, so consequently I installed the OSX SL on it until I find the reason to why the internal HD is not recognised on startup.

The internal HD does appear and is usable once in OSX. And that is when I accessed utilities/disk utility/Macintosh HD -->erase on the internal hd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just a stab in the dark, but sounds like if you boot from your (USB) external disk, then you will be able to remove partition on your mac hd, and erase disk, and then maybe you will be able to install

OP
B
Reaction score
just a stab in the dark, but sounds like if you boot from your (USB) external disk, then you will be able to remove partition on your mac hd, and erase disk, and then maybe you will be able to install

yep yep! I get you.. and yes, I've done that. lol Its a never ending cycle. Mac HD is currently partition free and is yet to be recognised on startup.

I attempted installing (Again) SL from desktop, chose the Mac HD, and again it decided to reboot 1/4 into the installation.

I'm even thinking of just going back to Tiger!! and it DID install something because the Mac HD contains a folder Mac OS X Install Data with content. So.. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****....... I think at this stage, could be worth ringing tech support, as you get 90day free tech support with SL.... and if they cant help you, suss out if you take your computer to an apple retailer/service centre if they will install it free of charge! :/

OP
B
Reaction score
ok,
so.. I've called Apple support and they asked me to try a few things.. all of which haven't helped.

Turn off MBP, remove battery, then to press the power button for 5 seconds. Replace battery and start as normal. Not sure what that does, but didnt help.

Seeing as tho I was able to re-install Tiger, he asked me to run Tiger installation disk and erase the hard drive with 'Zero-out Data' option checked (security options). Didn't work.

I'll give them another call and see what else they can suggest... hmmm..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you boot from the original Tiger DVD, does the Internal Drive show up and let you select it?

OP
B
Reaction score
If you boot from the original Tiger DVD, does the Internal Drive show up and let you select it?

Yes it does. I can reinstall Tiger, which I have done, as normal.

Also, when I press OPTION on startup, I can see the MAC HD, CD/DVD and External HD.. so yes, very odd.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you boot with the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not show at all in the list or shows with a the red caution thing on it? I still think it's an issue with the partition table somehow as since the switch to Intel I have had a few issues but was always to solve it in the Disk Utility.

OP
B
Reaction score
When you boot with the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not show at all in the list or shows with a the red caution thing on it? I still think it's an issue with the partition table somehow as since the switch to Intel I have had a few issues but was always to solve it in the Disk Utility.

When I boot from the 10.6 DVD, the drive does not appear AT ALL. As a destination drive, or within Disk Utility.. it does not appear.

As previously discussed with the team leader at apple support, I left a VM if I still had issues with it, and he has yet to call me back. lol

OP
B
Reaction score
..Could the issue be something to do with the brand of HD I have? Currently a 320gb Western Digital drive? I wouldn't think so, because it's installed on the 160gb Western Digital HD.

I'm thinking of maybe getting another one to test. Anyone recommend anything?

OP
B
Reaction score
SOLVED!!!

The Mac (internal) HD wasn't being recognised, but any USB, external HD etc was being recognised.
I finally bit the bullet after thinking about this for a week, but really didnt want to do it because of the effort involved.

I opened up my MBP took the HD out
Put it back together (the important bits)
Connected the removed HD into an external HD case
Plugged HD into MBP via USB
turned on the MBP,
launched SL 10.6 installer from DVD (hold 'C' key)
Crossed my fingers..
VOILA!
The USB HD appeared.. even with no internal hd connected, it was still capable of launching thru the DVD.

Install it as normal. And once finished, take the HD out of the external case, open the MBP, and connect as normal.

Thanks kane for the suggestions and hope this can assist with anone suffering with a similar issue. Ahh.. I can sleep easy... altho I did lose one of those tiny screws... dammit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.