emac won't backup

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to copy all my music and data files from my emac to an external 70gB drive as it is way over full. The emac recognises the external drive when I plug it in but the emac will not allow me to copy any files across. Its a 700mHZ PPC G4 1gB ram running 10.3.9. When UI try and drag and drop just nothing happens and the dragged icon of data goes back to its source. Any thoughts?
thanks steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How is the external drive formatted? What computer did you format the drive on?

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think i have ever formatted it. It works fine on my pc's and it worked ok on a imac G5 i had . Is formatting something i` can do myself?

OP
S
Reaction score
Another question! I have succesfully formatted via my Apple eMac but now my pc won't recognise the external drive! Any ideas?
Thnks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
What brand is the drive? I had troubles with a LaciE drive a few months ago with a similar situation.

OP
S
Reaction score
its Sumvision 70gb Good price as only £60 I bought it as i travel all over and there isnt much point having all my files at home on my emac so i take them with me. its a shame though cos now something has changed since I first bought it and I cant get it to be recognised by any pc's. it used to work fine on everything

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.