Resolved ACL issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In all the forums and posts by apple and mac users in regards to all the reports to ignore in permissions repair, and after speaking to apple tech support, beeing told that ACL found but not expected.... is just a reporting problem with the OS X operating system. I hoped that this would be fixed in snow leopard, but it hasn't been.

I solved this by using mac pilot.
The steps I took were as follows:

1)I clicked tools in the mac pilot menu
2)I clicked files and folders in the left pane window
3)Scrolled down to "wipe access control list data", and then chose Macintosh HD
4)Once completed, I booted from the install disc, and from the utility menu, chose reset pass word for Macintosh HD, and at the bottom of the box clicked Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs
Upon completion and restarting the computer, I then ran permission repairs in disk utility, and all the ACL found but not expected messages were gone, leaving only the 2 "Suid file warnings" that kept coming up!

ACL found but not expected on "private/etc/apache2/users"
Repaired "private/etc/apache2/users"
ACL found but not expected on "private/etc/postfix/main.cf"
Repaired "private/etc/postfix/main.cf"
ACL found but not expected on "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default"
Repaired "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default"
ACL found but not expected on "Library/Preferences/Audio"
Repaired "Library/Preferences/Audio"

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired
ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors"
Repaired "System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors"

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired
ACL found but not expected on "private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd"
Repaired "private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd"
ACL found but not expected on "private/var/yp/binding"
Repaired "private/var/yp/binding

I hope this has been of help to all with the ACL messages frustrating them

PS If I work out how to take care of the "suid file warnings" that keep coming up, I will post it too

;D

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Re Suid File Warnings
alright.... I took care of this issue as well.

Before doing this, I backed up my computer in case of any issues so I could reverse the steps if needed.
As well as backing up, as a double safeguard, I created a folder on the desktop for each of the warnings and named them with the exact suid file name warnings that were reported, so that I would know where they originated from if the need to put them back arose.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired

for this warning I followed the path to, and copied ARDAgent onto the desktop, and moved it into the relevant folder that I created on the desktop, and deleted the original.

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum

for this warning I followed the path to, and copied Locum onto the desktop, and moved it into the relevant folder that I created on the desktop, and deleted the original.

I had a bit of trouble deleting the original Locum, but relaunched finder and that took care of it.

then, after repairing permissions in disk utility, I had no more warnings.... an absolutely clean bill of health.

I tested all the applications, as well as trying a restart in safe mode just to double check, and all is well.... mac is running like clockwork :)

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just put back the suid file:

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum

without it my ability to drag and copy from finder to desktop was being hindered, and to top it off, with it in place, I can drag most folders from user (home) in the finder to the desktop without holding down the option key :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.