Some websites won't open

Reaction score
I have a really frustrating problem and I was wondering if someone has had a similar problem and resolved it. Basically, starting yesterday, some websites won't open - but only some - and there seems to be no logical pattern. For example I can open news site msnbc.msn.com/ but not abcnews.go.com/ I can open apple.com, but not sun.com/ (Sun Microsystems). Some Mac forms I can open (like this one) and others I can't... I have to go to Google's cache and then click view text only version.

Here are the facts:

1) Same issue present in all browsers (Firefox, Camino, Safari)
2) Able to access ALL sites via proxy server
3) Some of the sites I can't open, I can ping fine. Others I can neither ping nor open, and then there is the oddest category of all - some sites that I CAN open in the browser fine, but I can't ping.
4) All worked fine previously - everything just changed in an instant.
5) Haven´t installed any applications (that I'm aware of) so I don't think it's a virus.
6) Running OSX 10.5.8

Here is what hasn't worked:

Cleared cache on all the browsers and deleted all cookies
Updated all Mac software
Turned off TCP Window Scaling

Here's what I haven't tried, but read elsewhere that it hasn't worked in the few older cases I found of this (2008 and before):

Reinstall OS / Browsers
Check for Spyware
Disable firewall

Any ideas what could be causing this? ISP issue? Mac virus? Firewall? Networking issue?

Is this even a Mac problem?

Whatever it is, it's unbelievably frustrating and any help would be SUPER appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Safari Menu > Reset Safari

Try that to see if it at least helps in one browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are you ' pinging ' the sites by IP address of by name ?

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.