Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a;
Power Mac G4
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
1 MB L3-cache

1.75 GB DDR SDRAM

and i would like to know how to completely powerclean my computer,
i know that most of the things you delete or visit somewhere on the internet, or messenger conversations still get stored somewhere inside your computer, but not possible to find or simply delete.

i want my computer to be faster etc. again because sometimes it's getting a little slower than it used to be. and i heard this could help.
also i maybe want to sell it, so i thought this would be useful then

i dont want to reinstall mac OS X again, because i have many imporant files, photos, memories, ... etc. on my computer and i am too lazy to make a huge backup.

so i was just wondering someone here could help me and give some tips, or maybe knows a good free downloadable software that deletes all the hidden files, messenger history, caches, deleted files, etc..........

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download Onyx and run that.

Titanium Software

Download MainMenu version 1.7.4 which is the freeware version and run that.

MainMenu 1.7.4 for Mac - Free Mac software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Your browser preferences will also clean caches.

Macaroni is a $10 program that automatically runs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts.

Macaroni | atomicbird

Then do your own research ~ Google helps.

Get an external Firewire drive and back up. Lazy people lose all their data when the drive crashes alas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i dont want to reinstall mac OS X again, because i have many imporant files, photos, memories, ... etc. on my computer and i am too lazy to make a huge backup.

Word of warning. I know that you don't want to do a huge backup...because you mentioned that "I am too lazy". I appreciate your honesty...because that's really what keeps most people from doing it.;)

But consider this...what happens if your hard drive crashes for some unknown reason...either because of "old age", mechanical failure, etc....then what?

Really doing a back up can be as simple as just backing up your most important files that are irreplaceable...such as MS Office documents, photos, videos etc.

Other stuff such as applications, music files, etc....although expensive to replace can be repurchased if absolutely necessary (applications you should have original disks to do a reinstall). But really a full backup should be done just in case of a hard drive crash...which many times you get no warning signs!

Food for thought,

- Nick

Reaction score
Word of warning. I know that you don't want to do a huge backup...because you mentioned that "I am too lazy". I appreciate your honesty...because that's really what keeps most people from doing it.;)

But consider this...what happens if your hard drive crashes for some unknown reason...either because of "old age", mechanical failure, etc....then what?

Really doing a back up can be as simple as just backing up your most important files that are irreplaceable...such as MS Office documents, photos, videos etc.

Other stuff such as applications, music files, etc....although expensive to replace can be repurchased if absolutely necessary (applications you should have original disks to do a reinstall). But really a full backup should be done just in case of a hard drive crash...which many times you get no warning signs!

Food for thought,

- Nick

Pigoo3 is more than right. We are helping a guy with a post in this hardware page with an Imac try to get his computer up and running again. Hopefully his drive is just messed up and he can still get some stuff off it. Dont make that mistake...backup your most important stuff.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a;
Power Mac G4
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
1 MB L3-cache

1.75 GB DDR SDRAM

and i would like to know how to completely powerclean my computer,
i know that most of the things you delete or visit somewhere on the internet, or messenger conversations still get stored somewhere inside your computer, but not possible to find or simply delete.

i want my computer to be faster etc. again because sometimes it's getting a little slower than it used to be. and i heard this could help.
also i maybe want to sell it, so i thought this would be useful then

so i was just wondering someone here could help me and give some tips, or maybe knows a good free downloadable software that deletes all the hidden files, messenger history, caches, deleted files, etc..........

Thanks in advance!

The G4 Power Macs can handle 4 internal hard disks, very easily. Download how to connect them from apple's web site.

Buy another hard disk, pull out the twin disk carrier, which has the main drive on it, and screw in your new drive. You can then carbon clone your old and smaller drive to the new drive. You could then format the old drive, and carbon clone the information back. And then you have a clean drive.

If you upgrade to Leopard (Snow won't work), you'll loose the ability to run Classic applications. But if you do go Leopard, you can enable time machine onto that new drive, and then you're data will be secure, and if you do something stupid, time machine can help you get it all back. Time machine needs to be a bigger disk I reckon.

I am doing this to my Dad's computer, although I'm going to had a third drive with an older OSX and OS9.2 on it, so if he needs to run a classic app or boot from os 9 he can. Although he won't ... but I also think a modern boot drive speeds up the machine, and in an old machine, a newer drive is not a bad idea.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.