imac dual monitor clicking twice

Reaction score
this is a small annoyance of mine I run a 24" imac with another 24" monitor. When I switch from an application on the left screen over to the right screen I have to click in order to "allow" the mouse to work on the right screen. So each time I go back and fourth there is an extra click involved to "allow" the mouse to work on the screen. Is there a fix to this? Do others have this same problem? Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I run a MBP with a 20 philips and have the menubar on the 20 with Mirror UNchecked and i move back and forth as tho it was one big screen. Seems there is a setting or .plist that is not kosher on yours. Have you had a look in displays in Sys Prefs - perhaps try checking mirror and then unchecking see if that makes a difference

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
this is a small annoyance of mine I run a 24" imac with another 24" monitor. When I switch from an application on the left screen over to the right screen I have to click in order to "allow" the mouse to work on the right screen. So each time I go back and fourth there is an extra click involved to "allow" the mouse to work on the screen. Is there a fix to this? Do others have this same problem? Thanks for any assistance.

I run dual monitors as well...and that's really the way it works.

When you go from one monitor to the other...it's just like having two open windows (one under the other)...on a single monitor setup.

The first click selects the different window...and the 2nd click tells the computer what to do in that window.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, aye bummer I thought there may be a fix for it, as I think I will have millions of extra clicks in my near future! :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replies, aye bummer I thought there may be a fix for it, as I think I will have millions of extra clicks in my near future! :(

It would work the same way if you only had a single monitor.

If you had two windows open...one on top of the other (but slightly staggered so you could see part of the window underneath the "top" window)...you would still have to click once on the lower window to bring it to the top, then you would need to do a 2nd click to "do" something in the "top" window.

We all have to do it!;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yeah, I think you are thinking just cause both monitors have a single application or window open that they are on the same plane....they aren't. One is always "in front" of the other, even if they are side by side.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I think you are thinking just cause both monitors have a single application or window open that they are on the same plane....they aren't. One is always "in front" of the other, even if they are side by side.

Nice explanation...and an alternate way of looking at it.

Thanks,

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.