Refurbished MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have info. on 2 refurbished MacBook Pro from Apple Store Canada. Since I have VERY limited knowledge about computers, these specs are overwhelming for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Canada)
$1,849.00 CDN

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory..... cap. 4GB
320GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

L2 Cache 6MB shared
Graphics Memory 512MB GDDR3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (Canada)
$1,949.00 CDN

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory..... cap. 8GB
320GB Hard Drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built-in 7-hour battery
L2 Cache 3MB shared
Graphics memory 256MB GDDR3
SD card slot
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been told that the $1849 model is slightly older, but marginally faster (for graphics), and perhaps with the better specs than the $1949 model. There's the older model's battery 3 hr. duration vs. the newer model's 7 hrs. Then, there's the question of maxed out 4GB on the older model vs. the potential to add 4GB later on the newer one. Is this an important point ????

My computer needs are for working with photos, graphics, some video, music, and blogging...... multi-tasking. And, I have to keep in mind, what about resell value, if I want to upgrade in a year's time.
As you can see, I'm all over the place here and am just parroting what I've been told. So, I'm hoping to hear from someone, to give me a hand here. I need to be better informed and understand all this before spending all that money.

Comments and feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally I would go with choice number 2.

It costs $100 dollars more...but it has the larger 8 gig ram limit vs. 4 gig for choice #1.

You never really know where ram requirements will be in a couple years...so Choice #2 may be better from a resale standpoint as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Yea I agree #2 looks better. The only real difference is tho that you can upgrade the ram to 8gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm actually going to go with number 1! You get better graphics memory, which out weighs the possibility to install 8gb(REALLY EXPENSIVE by the way) for me at least. With choice 1, you can access the battery, hard-drive, and memory all by yourself. With choice 2, you have to take it to an apple store to open it up. Having 8gb of memory is total overkill for an average person like you who wrote, "I have VERY limited knowledge about computers." I am willing to bet you won't need any more than the 4gb, which is already great. Setup 1 is GREAT, you will not regret it!
Also, it's not 3 hours vs. 7 hours, it's more like 5+ vs not even close to 7! You also get more l2 cache...:). And, technically speaking, the 1st model was not the stock model when it was available, the 2nd one is though, which I think is more important.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually going to go with number 1! You get better graphics memory, which out weighs the possibility to install 8gb(REALLY EXPENSIVE by the way) for me at least. With choice 1, you can access the battery, hard-drive, and memory all by yourself. With choice 2, you have to take it to an apple store to open it up. Having 8gb of memory is total overkill for an average person like you who wrote, "I have VERY limited knowledge about computers." I am willing to bet you won't need any more than the 4gb, which is already great. Setup 1 is GREAT, you will not regret it!

Regarding what you said about ram needs and ram cost (8 gig)...I definitely agree if we were talking about "needs" today.

My comments above included what someone's needs may be in the future. In 2-3 years who knows what ram requirements may be...so being able to upgrade to 8 gig has much more flexibility (this may be better for resale as well). Plus I can almost guarantee in a couple years, the price of the today's pricey 4 gig sticks of ram will come wayyyy down.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Regarding what you said about ram needs and ram cost (8 gig)...I definitely agree if we were talking about "needs" today.

My comments above included what someone's needs may be in the future. In 2-3 years who knows what ram requirements may be...so being able to upgrade to 8 gig has much more flexibility (this may be better for resale as well). Plus I can almost guarantee in a couple years, the price of the today's pricey 4 gig sticks of ram will come wayyyy down.:)

- Nick

Good thinking but the OP did say he may want to upgrade within the years time. The second choice would be good if he planned on keeping the notebook for a while but it seems like he wont.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good thinking but the OP did say he may want to upgrade within the years time. The second choice would be good if he planned on keeping the notebook for a while but it seems like he wont.

Yeah I know they mentioned maybe upgrading in a year's time...which may or may not happen...who knows.

The cost difference between the 2 computers is $100...I think that I would pay that to have the flexibility of being able to upgrade to 8 gig of ram.

Plus when reselling..a laptop that is upgradable to 8 gig of ram may be more attractive to a broader group of buyers (average users & "power" users) than a 4 gig max laptop.

Certainly a decision for the "OP" to make.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
considering his requirements for right now are, "photos, graphics, some video, music, and blogging...... multi-tasking" the #1 fits him perfectly, better graphics capabilities, and better L2 cashe...which is also really important considering it's double the #2's size! To me, it would be wrong to skimp on those features just so that you know, in the future, you will have the "potential" to upgrade to 8gbs in the future. I'm willing to bet that by the time 4gb stick become cheap, there will be 8gb sticks and such which will make you think, "I'll just wait till those become cheap!" You have to realize something, without the future in mind, the #1 computer kicks the #2's rear!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in the future, you will have the "potential" to upgrade to 8gbs in the future. I'm willing to bet that by the time 4gb stick become cheap, there will be 8gb sticks and such which will make you think, "I'll just wait till those become cheap!" You have to realize something, without the future in mind, the #1 computer kicks the #2's rear!

Maybe I'm not 100% correct here...but if a computer currently has a 4 gig ram max limit (such as choice #1 above) how is the future availability of 8 gig sticks of ram going to change that? A 4 gig limit is a 4 gig limit.

Also...how does choice #1 above "kick the #2's rear"?

- both have the same CPU speed
- both have the same hard drive size
- both have the same Superdrive
- both have the same size display
- both have the same dual GPU setup

The only big difference is #1 has the 512 meg of graphics memory vs. 256 meg for choice #2. I'm not sure that is a "butt kicking difference" comparing all of the specs..

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Maybe I'm not 100% correct here...but if a computer currently has a 4 gig ram max limit (such as choice #1 above) how is the future availability of 8 gig sticks of ram going to change that? A 4 gig limit is a 4 gig limit.

Also...how does choice #1 above "kick the #2's rear"?

- both have the same CPU speed
- both have the same hard drive size
- both have the same Superdrive
- both have the same size display
- both have the same dual GPU setup

The only big difference is #1 has the 512 meg of graphics memory vs. 256 meg for choice #2. I'm not sure that is a "butt kicking difference" comparing all of the specs..

Thanks,

- Nick

Actually, both don't have the same GPU setup! And notice how i said in my post, "without the future in mind." He needs something mostly for graphics, the second one is clearly not the best one for him! This does not need to drag on any farther!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, both don't have the same GPU setup! And notice how i said in my post, "without the future in mind." He needs something mostly for graphics, the second one is clearly not the best one for him! This does not need to drag on any farther!

Maybe I'm missing something...but don't both computers have the same GPU setup:

Honestly...if there is a difference I would like to know.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No, the first one has 512 of graphics memory. You can see their specs if you click on the links and compare them. If their graphics and cache were the same, your decision would also be my decision:D To lose that, just so that you can one day, in the future, upgrade memory, doesn't make sense to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Well lets just say that he is thinking of upgrading his laptop in a year. Isn't it better to have the newer one for higher resell value? I think of having a newer one will yield more money and look more attractive to sellers than having an older one. If you do sell it in 2 years it will only be 2 years old. However the other will be 3 years old. And that is old for laptops sake.

My choice. Go with #2. I'm on the boat with nick. *HOOOOONK* *HOoOOOOONK* Get on board matey!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is it just me, or are his main needs related with current computer specs? He needs the best one right now for the stuff he listed, not for future memory upgrades, which the price won't come down much within the next 2 years(no new memory stick has even been mentioned/rumored). His decision shouldn't be suggested strictly based on resale value in one years time! If you are going to pay 2 grand for a computer, and are worried about resale value after year, you should probably wait till you see something else! Other than that, my first decision sticks!

OP
C
Reaction score
Posting my question here has been a positive experience. :)
Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic. I have learned a lot and am better informed as to what configuration I should be looking for to suit my computing needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
oh, come one:) tell us which one you're going with!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Hes probably still deciding... FLIP A COIN! can't go wrong with either one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hes probably still deciding... FLIP A COIN! can't go wrong with either one.

haha...when in doubt, flip the coin! Heads=#1, tails=#2...make sure the coin has two heads;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha...when in doubt, flip the coin! Heads=#1, tails=#2...make sure the coin has two heads;P

The OP has only 2 posts...so we may not hear from them again!:(
Thus we get ourselves all worked up in this thread about which one to buy trying to help them out...and then we get no...
"Happy Ending"!
smiley-laughing024.gif

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
haha :) ........ I'm here, just got back from work.

Is it accurate that with choice #1, the speed to perform tasks (graphics,photos, etc.) would only be a second or two faster ?
:( I would have thought that doubling the L2 cache and graphics memory would make a bigger impact on performance than that ........ :(
If that's the case, the speed advantage of choice #1 is very minor compared to the advantages (newest model, longer battery life, 8GB cap, better screen quality) choice #2 offers.

All feedback/comments welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.