Mac Warranty

Reaction score
I bought a new macbook pro at bestbuy and purchased their 3 year black tie / accidental warranty for $350 extra. I'm curious if the majority believe this is a good idea or if apple's warranty is good enough? I have 14 days to cancel it if I decide I don't want it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a new macbook pro at bestbuy and purchased their 3 year black tie / accidental warranty for $350 extra. I'm curious if the majority believe this is a good idea or if apple's warranty is good enough? I have 14 days to cancel it if I decide I don't want it.

The accidental damage part of the Best Buy warranty is better (of course you pay $350 for it)...but another member on this forum said that you only get one "accident" covered...then you have to repurchase the Best Buy warranty.

Personally I wouldn't purchase the Best Buy warranty...but this is certainly a personal choice.

- Nick

Reaction score
The accidental damage part of the Best Buy warranty is better (of course you pay $350 for it)...but another member on this forum said that you only get one "accident" covered...then you have to repurchase the Best Buy warranty.

Personally I wouldn't purchase the Best Buy warranty...but this is certainly a personal choice.

- Nick

I think that would depend on your life and how prone you are to an accident. I have 2 year old twin boys. Personally I require the accidental coverage. Crap happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that would depend on your life and how prone you are to an accident. I have 2 year old twin boys. Personally I require the accidental coverage. Crap happens.

Didn't I say that it's a personal choice!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think this would probably be more useful for notebooks. The Best Buy plan I got also covers theft. Since notebooks are probably more prone to theft and accidental damage, I think the extra $350 is a good crap shoot. It certainly beats being out $1500.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this would probably be more useful for notebooks. The Best Buy plan I got also covers theft. Since notebooks are probably more prone to theft and accidental damage, I think the extra $350 is a good crap shoot. It certainly beats being out $1500.

I think that the Best Buy plan really only makes sense for laptops...both from the accident & theft perspectives. Statistically relative to laptops...very little should happen to a desktop computer like an iMac that is just "sitting" there.

Of course there are situations where even a desktop can be accidentally damaged...but then nothing in life is risk free!!!;)

Just think how much money Best Buy is making selling $350 warranty's to people who don't need them...and who will never use them!

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses-
I asked best buy about the "1 accident" thing. You can have unlimited accidents in that 3 years, you spill coffee, drop it whatever its covered. UNLESS you shatter it into 5 pieces or break it beyond repair. If it is broken beyond repair it will be replaced and the warranty will no longer be valid (since it is now a completely different machine) but a new one can be purchased at that point. Seems to me, the extra $100 for "accidental" increase from apple's 3 year parts and labor warranty is a pretty good deal.

I didn't ask them if it covered theft... I should.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the responses-
I asked best buy about the "1 accident" thing. You can have unlimited accidents in that 3 years, you spill coffee, drop it whatever its covered. UNLESS you shatter it into 5 pieces or break it beyond repair. If it is broken beyond repair it will be replaced and the warranty will no longer be valid (since it is now a completely different machine) but a new one can be purchased at that point. Seems to me, the extra $100 for "accidental" increase from apple's 3 year parts and labor warranty is a pretty good deal.

I didn't ask them if it covered theft... I should.

Thanks for the additional info. I thought you said the Best Buy warranty costs an extra $350 vs. the extra $100 you just mentioned?

Definitely ask about the theft protection part...I would be very interested to know if it covers it.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. I thought you said the Best Buy warranty costs an extra $350 vs. the extra $100 you just mentioned?

Definitely ask about the theft protection part...I would be very interested to know if it covers it.

Thanks,

- Nick
It doesn't cover theft and it is 379 for 3 years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't cover theft and it is 379 for 3 years.

The lowest cost MacBook starts at $999. So to be honest...I'm not sure it's a wise financial decision to spend $379 for a warranty on a $999 computer. That's 38% of the purchase price of the computer.

With a more expensive MacBook or MacBook Pro...it might make more sense.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I bought a MacBook Pro so I figured the warranty was a good peace of mind on my investment.
That warranty for 3 years was 349.99.
What I had meant about the $100 is, the warranty from BB covers parts,labor and accidental.
The apple warranty is roughly $250 for 3 years and covers parts and labor.
The extra $100 at best buy gets you the "accidental" clause added on, sorry I could have been more clear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.