Another Iweb problem :(

Reaction score
Ok First I must admit I am not a mac user :) Great. Now that thats out of the way let me tell you whats going on.

I had someone I know ask me if I can make a quick edit on their webpage. I primarily deal with wordpress and SEO but I figured it would not be a big issue to change one line of text on his iweb created site.

so I make a backup of his entire site and proceed to edit the one line of text I upload the new file and BAM the page is all messed up. it is no longer displaying his navigation or background. I looked over all the code comparing it to his other pages and nothing is wrong. So I say no problem I will just upload the original file and it will all be fixed. Well I was wrong again. Still the same problem.

I proceeded to check the page in every browser I have.

Firefox - not working correctly
IE - Not working correctly
Opera, Safari, Chrome - Working like a charm.

Anyone have any idea what would be causing this to work on the 3 browsers but not the other 2?

I just want to get this fixed...lol

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No idea. The HTML that iWeb creates is ugly and over complicated.

You can only edit iWeb content using the iWeb editor on a Mac. Did you use iWeb to do the edit or did you manually do it?

OP
S
Reaction score
No idea. The HTML that iWeb creates is ugly and over complicated.

You can only edit iWeb content using the iWeb editor on a Mac. Did you use iWeb to do the edit or did you manually do it?

I used a plain text editor, conTEXT to be exact. I can understand needing to use iWeb to edit the page, but we are talking 1 line of text. There was no code change what so ever.

And more puzzling is the fact that it works in 3 out of 5 browsers.

Thanks for your help. Anyone else have an idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
All I can tell you is that iWeb is the worst way to go! Just code the HTML yourself, and you'll avoid a real mess.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree with xstep - the content that iWeb creates is needlessly complex. Regardless of that, what did you change? Can you provide us with a sample? What is the URL?

OP
S
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that iWeb is the worst way to go! Just code the HTML yourself, and you'll avoid a real mess.

Coding the html is not the issue. I would personally not use iWeb. But they have and that is what they are working with. It is not my site.

As far as what I changed here is an example....

Original Example - Tonights event is closed do to rain

New Example - Tonights event is open as planned.

I simply opened up a text editor, changed the line to reflect the new text, saved and uploaded the file via ftp. When I see that it did not work, I uploaded the original file and the page remained the same. I touched no code just a line of text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.