Mac G4 nothing works

Reaction score
I have a mac G4 cube and it has quit working. It will boot up but there is nothing but question marks in the finder dock and it will not access any programs at this point. I was getting a grey screen that it would not go past and got a little help from the apple website on how to get rid of that. It will boot up now but nothing will open not even system preferences. I have no clue what I have done here and this is the first mac I have ever owned. I have had this for a few years but I just never really used it until we moved into our new house I got it out and it all started with the grey screen and now I am at the point of not being able to open anything. :( Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oh and I have tried to do things like run the Disk Repair but it always comes up and says "Starting from classic environment (OS 9). When it does that it gets about halfway through and says the I need to restart and hold the shift key. So I restart the process and hold the shift key and it comes up an says that it has diabled the extensions but it gets right to the end and says the same thing again. So I am at a loss here.

THanks
Brandon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
With earlier macs like the cube it could boot into the older classic OS such as 7.5 thru 9.2 With 10.1 you have one of the earlier versions of system X and while it is possible to run either OS my thoughts are that the internet has progressed a lot since those days so you would be much better placed to upgrade to at least Panther 10.3 which was quite stable. If the cube has enough RAM i would even try and get Tiger but either one make sure you get the black disc with an X on it like this;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As advised go to Tiger. When you get the Tiger full retail install DVD, assuming the Cuba has a DVD reader, pop the disc in and reboot, holding down 'C' immediately after the chimes, go to utilities and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported.

From what you describe it is possible you may have had the HDD die on you.

OP
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. Where can I go about getting this Tiger install disk (I am a newb).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.