MAcBook Dead!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Memory, GeForce 9400M, 160 GB HD, Snow Leopard.
Hi Guys!:D

First post and sadly one on a negative note. My wife spilled a whole glass of wine over my white Mac book. It has died and I don't think there is much I can do about it despite cleaning and drying so have bought a new MacBook. Was only 6 months old so pretty gutted, but at least I don't need to upgrade to Snow Leopard now:Smirk: . Found a new Aluminium MacBook for a very good price and should have it on wednesday.

Question I have is, is there anything I can do to recover the files from my HD (assuming it was undamaged, I removed it quick smart so hopefully it is fine) and get them on to my new MacBook. The old MacBook won't even power up so I'm at a loss as to how to do this. I know I should have had it backed up but it was just one of those things I kept meaning to do but never got round to. Mainly concerned about photo's and music as all my work stuff is on my HP laptop (which ironically is backed up).

Grateful for any help you can give me.

Cheers,

Wayne.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Either grab yourself a 2.5" SATA external enclosure to put the drive in - or get yourself a kit like this one for just a temp connection. It will allow you to connect any 2.5 or 3.5" IDE or SATA hard drive to your computer via USB. Nice tool to have in your arsenal.

(Wouldn't begin to know where to look for one in Japan, but am sure you could find one.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since the White Macbook will not power on, just take out the Hard Drive and purchase a USB or Firewire hard drive case. Your drive in the Macbook is a 2.5" SATA Laptop drive, so get a case that supports that drive. Plug it into the new Macbook and you can get all your files.

You can either drag and drop from the old drive to the new or use the Migration Assistant to do it for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig Memory, GeForce 9400M, 160 GB HD, Snow Leopard.
Wow, that easy. Cheers chaps!

Just ordered an HD case off Amazon so hopefully that should do the trick. Fingers X'd the HD is OK.

Thanks again.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.