Problem With The Downloads Stack In The Dock

Reaction score
Hi !!

I am currently experiencing a problem whereby a file is listed in the 'Stack' view for 'Downloads' in the dock area on my desktop that I cannot remove.

Strangely, this file is NOT listed when you view the 'Downloads' in Finder, whether using the 'Open In Finder' option from the 'Stack', itself, or by selecting 'Downloads' after opening a new 'Finder Window'.

I have tried just dragging the file to the trash but that doesn't delete it.

In fact, it is impossible to move it anywhere else - since all attempts to do so produce the 'forbidden action' symbol (a circle with a line through it).

Does anyone know what steps I can take to prevent this file from being listed in the 'Stack' view in 'Downloads' ?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? The name of the file may help.

Do you have a torrent running?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

The filename is a pretty nonsensical mix of upper & lower case alpha-numeric characters ending with 'zip.part' but, as far as I know, is not a zip-file (or part of one) that I have tried to download myself.

I don't get involved in using bit-torrents, at all, so I can safely say it has nothing to do with that.

I'm just wondering if there is some way of accessing the 'Stack' so that I can remove this 'ghost' file for good. Any other ideas ??

JJ

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem Solved !!

Hi,

Just to let everyone know that I found a solution, or 'workaround' if you like, and now the offending 'ghost' file is no longer visible in the 'Stack View' of the 'Downloads' in the Dock.

In case anyone else experiences this problem, here's how I overcame it:-

First off, I right-clicked on the 'Downloads' icon (one of two premade stacks, located on the right hand side of the dock) and selected 'Remove from Dock'. As you'd expect, it disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

The next step was to remake the 'Downloads' stack and replace the one I'd just deleted. This I did by opening a 'New Finder Window' (Command N) from the dropdown 'File' menu in Finder and locating the 'Downloads' folder from inside my 'Home' folder (listed under 'Places' in the sidebar). Then I clicked & dragged the 'Downloads' folder icon to the same part of the dock that I'd removed the old icon from and... hey, presto... a NEW 'Downloads' stack was created which, once opened, did not contain the annoying 'ghost' file that kept appearing before.

So, like I say... PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Hope that proves helpful.

Cheers,

JJ

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for reporting back.

Kind of curious what that was myself though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In case you were/are interested, the <random string>.zip.part is likely part of a zip file you downloaded but cancelled for one reason or another. Have you downloaded anything recently that was a zip file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.