Startup disk full message

Reaction score
I have a mac book pro around 3 1/2 years old, it has a 73gb hard drive and it seems to be full.
I have just purchased a 320gb hard drive and used time machine to back up to the external drive.

I assume i need to remove files from the laptop but i am not sure if this is the best thing to do.

I am not a mac expert so anyone with any ideas would be great.

The laptop has slowed a bit and when i try and use vertain programs like photoshop i get a message to say not enough memory.

I only have around 2gb of images and 1 gb of movies on the laptop so not sure why the disk is so full. I have tried the disk utility but the only freed 500mb of space.

Thank you to anyone who can help

Lee

Reaction score
So you have your system install, 2 GB of Pics an 1 GB of Movies on it, that's it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm sure you have any more files on your laptop taking up space!

You already admitted that you are not a Mac expert...so try a bit harder to find some files to delete or backup.

What about music files, videos, photos, programs that you installed & don't use...there's got to be plenty on there.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Startup disk full

I do have the normal programs and around 200 tracks on i tunes

I have mac office installed, photoshop, and a few small programs.

Just need to know the best options to delete files, now i have used passport to back on the extrenal drive i assume it would be safe to delete images and some programs.

many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.