Dmz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have a PB G4, I use it alot for just about everything. Recently I have been using VNC on it. I would like to create a DMZ my Windows XP machine which I connect to, so I can VNC it when I am not with in my network. (I probually am not explaining this well.) The Windows XP machine is attached to an Airport Express which is WEP to an Airpor Extreme. How would I get to DMZ this computer or the Airport Express. Sorry if I was unclear, I am kinda confused myself.

P

PowerbookG417

well PowerBookG4, ill give you the anwser to your question if you get a different screen name ??? huh huh...sound good

by reading on you agree to the above statement lol

anyways ill be nice...here you go

It took some searching, but I found the setting - it's called Default Host rather than DMZ.

From AirPort Help - reformatted by me
Setting up a host on your network

If you want to play network games, you can set up a computer on your AirPort network as the default host. This computer will be exposed to the Internet and receive all inbound traffic.

To set up a computer as a default host:

1. Open AirPort Admin Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
2. Select your base station from the list and click Configure.
3. Click Show All Settings.
4. Click Base Station Options, then select the "Enable Default Host at" checkbox.

The default IP address is 10.0.1.253. Assign this address to the host computer. (Open the Network pane of System Preferences, choose AirPort from the Show pop-up menu, click TCP/IP, and choose Manually from the Configure pop-up menu.)

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you PowerbookG417

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually I was not able to find that option. What update is that in? Would port mapping work just as well?

K

Kokopelli

Port mapping serves the same purpose as the default host. The difference is that a default host receives all traffic coming from the outside, portmapping forwards only traffic going to specific ports to the machine in the interior network.

I

iDVFH.

Wow that was confusing..I thought you's were the same person for a minute..you's even have the same avatar..lol

M

mojo17

I would use the port forward feature as well. The DMZ would leave your machine wide open on the naked net.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you, so I wanted to foward port 5900 to my computer, so I typed in its ip address and the port and then i tried to get on it from another network and it denied me, any ideas?

K

Kokopelli

what address are you typing? The internal address (192.168.something, maybe 10.something) or the address of the Airport?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
192.168.1.5, and the port i want to be able to access is 5900. Would both public and private port be 5900 or are they different?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw,Thank you all for all of you help!

K

Kokopelli

No problem, 192.168.1.5 should work from inside your network but not from the outside world. You need to find out the address of your Airport base station. Addresses that start in 192.168 are not routable. I started to write up an analogy comparing a network to an apartment building, but it started to confuse even me. ;)

Short Version: Outside of your internal network, the only address anyone is aware of is the one for your Airport. In order to VNC from the outside world what you want to do is connect to the Aiport and then it will forward the traffic on to your machine running VNC.

From inside the network make sure you can connect using VNC to 192.168.1.5. Once we know the VNC server is configured correctly we need to figure out what your routable address is on the base station. I do not own an Airport base station so hopefully someone else can tell you. Once you know that you can try connecting to that address from the outside world and see if it works. If you think your have found the address just post the first 2 sets of numbers, I can tell from that if it is a routable address. You do not want to post the complete address on a forum though.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i have my oustide ip adress, itis 62.something.something.something I have it saved on my computer so that I will be able to reach it. My VNC server is set up completly and correctly I use it all the time fromm inside my network, I amm off to school in 5 minutes to go test to see if this works from another network, and if the schools firewall blocks me then i am going to go to a friends house. Let you know if it works when i get back around 4 oclockish.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I am back, and it didn't work every where i tried it, does any body have any ideas or sugesstions as to why i can't figure this out. This is the first major thing since I got a mac that I coudn't figure out on my own.

K

Kokopelli

There are a number of possibilities but short of chatting with you as you debug it will be difficult. The first thing to check is whether the IP address for your access point has changed. If it has not then you might try doing a ping sweep from a remote location. It is possible that your ISP is blocking remote access, though I would not expect it.

If the address has changed then you might need to look into one of the dynamicDNS services.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything you said i have done, i think i have to have a friend come over to see if a new person looking at this might be able to fix it.

K

Kokopelli

Ah well, then I am out of ideas. Sorry. Did the ping sweep get a response on 5900?

Let us know if you figure the problem out.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thank you kokopelli, I am going to have a friend come over and look at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.