Using a flat screen tv as a monitor

Reaction score
I had a roommate move out and he left me a nice LG flat screen tv which I am now using as my monitor. My only problem is that my mac mini does not seem to sense how big it is, and thus it gives way to much room on the left hand side. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it seems that my mac thinks my new monitor is about 2 inches wider than it is. I've tried to fix this in preferences but that did not work. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Be shure the TV has the right Refreash rate to use with your Mac as you can damage the video card. If the TV has a PC port change the TV set up to auto picture its in the screen format menu on the TV. Mabe someone here knows exactly how to fix your issue. Good Luck.

Reaction score
is your LG LCD TV or CRT? and what is the resolution you are using? The aspect ratio need your TV to be supported in order to show the image correctly.

Try to find the LG setting manual to search for the setting of 1:1 Pixel Matching or turn overscan off.

If still not fixing, you can try this tool to set the optimal resolution for your tv
SwitchResx (Mac) - Download

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.