RAM won't show as installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
I have a G4 Power Mac with Mirrored Drove Doors. I bought another gig of RAM for it today in the form of two 512 MB boards. I opened the tower and installed them nice and snug, making sure they were facing the correct direction. When I turned on my machine and went to my Apple- about this Mac menu, they RAM doesn't show up. It still says I only have 1 Gig.

To my horror, I realized that I installed the RAM without disconnecting the power cord from the machine- A stupid mistake indeed. Is there a chance I fried my RAM or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a G4 Power Mac with Mirrored Drove Doors. I bought another gig of RAM for it today in the form of two 512 MB boards. I opened the tower and installed them nice and snug, making sure they were facing the correct direction. When I turned on my machine and went to my Apple- about this Mac menu, they RAM doesn't show up. It still says I only have 1 Gig.

To my horror, I realized that I installed the RAM without disconnecting the power cord from the machine- A stupid mistake indeed. Is there a chance I fried my RAM or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming that the power cord thing didn't cause a problem...where did you get the ram?

Are you 100% sure that it's Macintosh compatible?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
Assuming that the power cord thing didn't cause a problem...where did you get the ram?

Are you 100% sure that it's Macintosh compatible?

- Nick

Yes. I bought it from a store that exclusively sells Mac products that I've been going to for years.

Something far worse has now happened though. This is becoming a nightmare.
I tried installing the RAM facing the other direction and my OS wouldn't boot up when I turned the machine on. I opened the tower back up, and turned the RAM boards back around. I noticed they were pretty hot. I let them cool down before I closed the unit back up, and turned it back on. This time I heard 3 simple low beeps and my drive light flashed. Still the OS won't boot. I've never had a single problem with this Mac and have kept it in immaculate condition. What went wrong?!?! Help!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I bought it from a store that exclusively sells Mac products that I've been going to for years.

Something far worse has now happened though. This is becoming a nightmare.
I tried installing the RAM facing the other direction and my OS wouldn't boot up when I turned the machine on. I opened the tower back up, and turned the RAM boards back around. I noticed they were pretty hot. I let them cool down before I closed the unit back up, and turned it back on. This time I heard 3 simple low beeps and my drive light flashed. Still the OS won't boot. I've never had a single problem with this Mac and have kept it in immaculate condition. What went wrong?!?! Help!!!

I hate to say this...but if you really want to know what went wrong...it's that you decided to start poking around inside your computer without sufficient knowledge or experience!!!:(

You should not be able to reverse the direction the ram is installed. It only fits in one way!

It sounds like you are doing one wrong thing after another...before getting the advice of others!

You may have already trashed your computer. Basically you did the equivalent of throwing a plugged in hair dryer into a tub of water while someone was in it!!!

At this point what you should try to do is:

- remove all of the ram
- separate the ram into your "old" ram & your "new" ram
- startup the computer with no ram installed, and see what happens
- if the computer seems to start up ok (no beeps) then turn off the computer, and install one stick of your old ram. Then restart.
- if it restarts ok...then install the 2nd stick of your old ram.

If it starts up ok...post your results here...and we will proceed further.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to Pigoo's post, you can not turn DDR Ram around the wrong way and have it seat all the way down. One side would be sticking up. BUT if some of the pins on the one side did contact, you can blow the RAM, Mainboard, Ram Slot, ETC.

Do what Pigoo suggested and get back to us.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to say this...but if you really want to know what went wrong...it's that you decided to start poking around inside your computer without sufficient knowledge or experience!!!:(

You should not be able to reverse the direction the ram is installed. It only fits in one way!

It sounds like you are doing one wrong thing after another...before getting the advice of others!

You may have already trashed your computer. Basically you did the equivalent of throwing a plugged in hair dryer into a tub of water while someone was in it!!!

At this point what you should try to do is:

- remove all of the ram
- separate the ram into your "old" ram & your "new" ram
- startup the computer with no ram installed, and see what happens
- if the computer seems to start up ok (no beeps) then turn off the computer, and install one stick of your old ram. Then restart.
- if it restarts ok...then install the 2nd stick of your old ram.

If it starts up ok...post your results here...and we will proceed further.

Good luck,

- Nick

Ok I realize that was deserved and I'm coming off as an extreme noob. But I have installed RAM before with no issues. Leaving the power cord in was stupid FOR SURE. But it was a mistake that I knew not to make and simply just forgot.

Anyhow- Fortunately, I think I escaped relatively unscathed or got extremely lucky. I removed the two new 512 boards of Ram and was able to reboot just fine with my original 1 gig. It appears that the new RAM boards were causing the issue. I researched on Apple's website and 3 beeps means that no RAM banks passed memory testing. I'm now surmising that either the RAM boards I have are not compatible or are defective in some way. It was kind of hard for me to get them to lock in place, but I thought that was normal because I had the same issue when I installed last time.

Anyway, I deserve to get flamed. I almost fried my lovely Power Mac. Here is the type of RAM I attempted to install:

NANYA brand, DDR 333MHz, CL-2.5

Any suggestions? Thanks again!:[

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do they also say PC2700 on them? 333Mhz is what PC2700 RAM is.

What store did you get them from? I know the bay area pretty well.

Also be SURE that the little notch on the bottom of the stick that is Off Center lines up with the little rise in the ram slot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyhow- Fortunately, I think I escaped relatively unscathed or got extremely lucky. I removed the two new 512 boards of Ram and was able to reboot just fine with my original 1 gig. It appears that the new RAM boards were causing the issue. I researched on Apple's website and 3 beeps means that no RAM banks passed memory testing. I'm now surmising that either the RAM boards I have are not compatible or are defective in some way. It was kind of hard for me to get them to lock in place, but I thought that was normal because I had the same issue when I installed last time.

Anyway, I deserve to get flamed. I almost fried my lovely Power Mac. Here is the type of RAM I attempted to install:

NANYA brand, DDR 333MHz, CL-2.5

Any suggestions? Thanks again!:[

I apologize for sounding harsh...but in the approximate 20 minutes between your two postings above you went from bad to worse before waiting for someone to answer your initial posting.

I would return that new ram if you can...and purchase some new ram from these guys:

Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 "FW 800" 2x1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

They are a very good place to buy from.

It's good to hear that your computer is still ok & no permanent damage was done. Again I apologize for being a bit harsh.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do they also say PC2700 on them? 333Mhz is what PC2700 RAM is.

What store did you get them from? I know the bay area pretty well.

Also be SURE that the little notch on the bottom of the stick that is Off Center lines up with the little rise in the ram slot.

Yes, they say PC2700U. I got them from Marin Mac Shop

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologize for sounding harsh...but in the approximate 20 minutes between your two postings above you went from bad to worse before waiting for someone to answer your initial posting.

I would return that new ram if you can...and purchase some new ram from these guys:

Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 "FW 800" 2x1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

They are a very good place to buy from.

It's good to hear that your computer is still ok & no permanent damage was done. Again I apologize for being a bit harsh.

- Nick

No need to apologize. I deserved it! I will definitely return this RAM and look into this website. Thank again!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really hope I didn't fry the 2 RAM slots by placing the RAM in there facing the wrong direction. I would assume they can't be individually replaced and I would have to replace the entire RAM board area...

Reaction score
In order to get the sticks in backwards they would have the wrong pin size your computer uses. I just looked at a stick of 2100,2700 and 3200 side by side the slot is way off center. Theres no way it could seat in backwards. If you put your old ram back in and booted up sounds like your luckly this time. Just dont change the sticks on carpet and its good to unplug the machine. Touch the metal case first before you touch the Ram. Take Care.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I really hope I didn't fry the 2 RAM slots by placing the RAM in there facing the wrong direction. I would assume they can't be individually replaced and I would have to replace the entire RAM board area...

You can check out this possibility buy moving the now "good" ram into the open slots - one a time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can check out this possibility buy moving the now "good" ram into the open slots - one a time.

Awesome idea. I'll check it out right now. Carefully, of course...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok just installed my old RAM successfully in both of the other RAM slots. They are working fine. Whew!! thx for the advice.. Had to have been the new RAM!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok just installed my old RAM successfully in both of the other RAM slots. They are working fine. Whew!! thx for the advice.. Had to have been the new RAM!!

Sounds great that your computer suffered no damage after last nights "experiment" in how to abuse a computer!!;)

I also agree...that it sounds like that new ram was most likely defective or not compatible with your computer.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.