Airport, Networking, Firewall, File Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
Ok so I got two Mac's setup with fresh installs 10.6.1 Snow Leopard. One is mine an iMac, the base station. The other is a Mac Mini I've setup for my 9yo son. A friend gave me an older mushroom shaped Airport Extreme. OK, I got the Mac Mini on the internet wirelessly. And did figure out how to file share, and transferred some pictures to the Mac Mini from the iMac's external hard-drive.

Now I'm not sure fully what I did to get all that setup. I just followed the screens. But honestly it is all a blur now. What I'm saying is that I cannot say I fully understand wireless networking. There are so many options and choices when I go back and look at the Airport utility.

To go a little further I turned on the Firewall. But now I cannot file share.

Is there a way to file share with the Firewall on? How should I protect both my Macs now that I am using the Airport Extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
protection

turn the firewall off, create new network with password protect ;D

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Podraig,

The airport network I did create does have a password. But I guess I am feeling a little unsure that things are really as simple as that.

I am using WPA / WPA2 and it has a password. Is this enough to ensure that only my two Macs can see each other?

Reaction score
We have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air - both running Snow Leopard - connected to the internet via an Airport Express unit. Our machines show up in each other's finders - but we can't seem to figure out how to share files :(

Our public folders are both shared and as open as we can set them. Should be just a matter of drag-and-drop, right?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air - both running Snow Leopard - connected to the internet via an Airport Express unit. Our machines show up in each other's finders - but we can't seem to figure out how to share files :(

Our public folders are both shared and as open as we can set them. Should be just a matter of drag-and-drop, right?

If all options are properly selected. I'd say yes, as easy as drag and drop, at least it was for me. Both Macs have to be setup independently with the same settings.

Reaction score
If all options are properly selected. I'd say yes, as easy as drag and drop, at least it was for me. Both Macs have to be setup independently with the same settings.

I think they're the same - will check when the Air gets back. Which ones are the proper ones though? (Just in case my logic isn't 100% on the mark.)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think they're the same - will check when the Air gets back. Which ones are the proper ones though? (Just in case my logic isn't 100% on the mark.)

Hey Im no expert and that is the reason for my initial question. I setup an Airport network that was one step. Then I went to Sharing and did that and it worked.

I just want to know how secure it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u are just passing info between computers on your LAN then iChat is an easy way to go. Just drag the file over to entry on Buddy list and buddy gets info of incoming file and has to accept it and it is done. Only set up is with iChat and a different rego for each user - see here Wife and i also use iChat for sending URLs to each other in the IM window - very quick. i have file sharing checked in Sys Prefs/Sharing window.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If u are just passing info between computers on your LAN then iChat is an easy way to go. Just drag the file over to entry on Buddy list and buddy gets info of incoming file and has to accept it and it is done. Only set up is with iChat and a different rego for each user - see here Wife and i also use iChat for sending URLs to each other in the IM window - very quick. i have file sharing checked in Sys Prefs/Sharing window.

I've not used iChat. I thought you had to pay for a service to use iChat. I really don't need to pay for yet another communicating system.

But I did get the firewall going and also select file sharing, so I guess it is working now.

I did go to that link you provided and selected iChat. Something is weird with that iChat link on that page, it freezes up my Safari and I had to force quite after awhile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.