3.1 & Internet Tethering

Reaction score
OK so I rely on my iphone's Internet tethering option to connect to the interwebs. I used to have DSL and it was overpriced so as soon as I discovered Internet tethering I said hey, screw you ISP, and dropped em like a hat. I enjoyed using my iPhone as a wireless router and boasted about how I no longer had to pay extra for Internet service.

Then I did something idiotic by updating to 3.1 yesterday. It wasn't till hours later when I had to look something up on the Internet that I realized I had no connection. Ever since then I have been beating myself up over it, and have even called the nearest Apple store to ask them if they could downgrade my phone back to 3.0 because I "simply was not happy with it". Basically they said a bunch of BS about policy and all that junk. So that's a no. Before calling them I tried restoring my phone from backup (from when it was still 3.0), hoping and wishing it would work. All it did was restore all the info, the software still remains 3.1. I am frustrated and feel completely screwed over by AT&T and Apple.

My last and only resort is to wait for a hack that enables Internet tethering for 3.1. My question is, how long does it usually take for a new software version to be jailbroken? A week? A month? Is there a possibility that they may never be able to enable Internet tethering with a hack and people like me who rely on this feature to get online are just plain screwed?

Give it to me straight. I can take the pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, if you live in the US and use AT&T, wait 12 more days tethering will be available on the iPhone in the US. Of course, it will cost you, but it'll still be cheaper than your DSL likely was. Either way, whatever hack you are using now will likely stop working, or be problematic at best, when the service is officially enabled and sanctioned. Maybe you should just suck it up and pay for service like most of do.

OP
A
Reaction score
That's outrageous. I am already paying for unlimited data on my iPhone plan, and by using Internet tethering I am simply using my iPhone's Internet connection - which, again, I am already paying for! It's not a separate or additional connection, it's the same. So what exactly am I going to be paying extra for? The service I should have every right to use since I'm paying for it in the first place? How on Earth does that make a spec of sense? They are ripping us off for something that wouldn't cost them anything if they provided it for free.

It's not a matter of "sucking it up". It's clearly a matter of taking it TO THE BANK by a greedy corporation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh, pretty much every cell company charges for tethering, no matter what phone you have. Surfing from your phone is no where near as bandwidth intensive as surfing from your computer. It's their network. You pay for unlimited data for your phone, not for anything else. You wanna tether? Pay up. None of this is a secret...

Oh, and that "unlimited" connection you are paying for, it's not really "unlimited". Read the fine print on your terms of service about it.

So yes, it IS a matter of "suck it up". Maybe you shouldn't have turned off that DSL line so quick. Maybe you should have done some research instead of making assumptions.

Reaction score
i believe the issue of tethering from a cell phone may be one of the things the FCC is looking at. If they decide all cellular carriers are to allow it from any device capable, then you can expect your unlimited data fees to increase substantially.

none of the wireless carriers have enough capacity to meet that kind of demand for bandwidth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i believe the issue of tethering from a cell phone may be one of the things the FCC is looking at. If they decide all cellular carriers are to allow it from any device capable, then you can expect your unlimited data fees to increase substantially.

none of the wireless carriers have enough capacity to meet that kind of demand for bandwidth

You can tether from lots of current cell phones. My company offers it as an option for our work phones to our work laptops (on AT&T even). This isn't anything new.

Reaction score

This happened many years ago. Carriers won in court as the ToS specifically states "unlimited" for a specific device. Now if you tether that said device isn't using the data. The device that is tethered to it is using the data. This is why this has not changed.

What the FCC is looking at is the "exclusive" deals carriers have with providers. Apple and AT&T as a prime example. Has nothing to do with the Data Plans, MMS, and all that what-not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
To be honest tho, if you not paying for the internet tethering service AT&T would have clicked on soon enough and you'd need to pay sooner or later.

Maybe doing the 'hack' for occasional use, but full time as your sole connection? I'd just pay the extra personally...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To actually answer the question, the 3.1 jailbreak has been available for a little while. There are tethering apps available, though I've personally never tried them.

Reaction score
This happened many years ago. Carriers won in court as the ToS specifically states "unlimited" for a specific device. Now if you tether that said device isn't using the data. The device that is tethered to it is using the data. This is why this has not changed.

What the FCC is looking at is the "exclusive" deals carriers have with providers. Apple and AT&T as a prime example. Has nothing to do with the Data Plans, MMS, and all that what-not.

I know that, I have been tethering for years on razr's and blackberries.

yes they are look at the exclusive deals, but also other aspects of how wireless companies operate. that includes data usage and what is or is not considered broadband internet (wireless internet), coverage areas and so on.

so..the cost of using a cell phone , ANY cell phone, may go up to use it for tethering.

to the OP, even a jail broken iphone with heavier than what is considered normal, or unlimited (there is a cap..trust me) data usage will be looked at and you will be contacted.

jah

Reaction score
going to att in my area really was a performance hit. if i was in sales i could not continue as an att customer. it dosnt matter because most friends now text me instead.

-in view of limited service att should offer tether free until the time they can do better.
-on my mac book i usally have an open wifi available to use and this is faster better than att's 3g. its a quaint thought i would use their 3g consistantly. i do like the 3g as a backup, not the sharpest tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.