More memory - is it worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Hi people!

Opinions and advice requested please. I am the proud owner of an iMac currently running Snow Leopard with a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, and while they say "supports up to 8 GB ram," I have read in several places that sometimes the additional ram is useless if the system cannot utilize it.
I dunno - not really a technical wiz.

Problem is that this afternoon I was working in PS CS4 (#&*#$!!) but enough on that and let's not go there... and also had Safari open to a couple of web pages and Microsoft Word for the Mac. First Word froze, and then when I tried to print something off of Photoshop I got an error message telling me that there was not enough ram and PS quit!

Well I really need to have all these things running at the same time, so my immediate reaction was - OK more ram - coming up!

Will this really solve my problem though do you think? It is a new iMac, less than 6 months old, and the newest out there so I would think the system would welcome it. Any thoughts please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You never told us how much ram you currently have!

- Nick

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Oops - sorry you're right. 2 GB

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oops - sorry you're right. 2 GB

You're most economical memory upgrade is to go to 4 gig of ram. That will cost you around $88 bucks.

To get yourself to 8 gig of ram (which you may or may not need)...will cost you close to $550 dollars. The 4 gig x 2 memory sticks are very expensive.

Here's a site to check prices:

Memory up to 8GB for Apple iMac 20" and 24" Models 2.66GHz to 3.06GHz DDR3 'March/2009 with mini-DisplayPort' models at OtherWorldComputing.com

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.