Imac and wifi / electricity internet things

Reaction score
Dear All,

I would appreciate any help. So first the set up. Up stairs I have a mac pro connected by ethernet to a linksys wireless router. Downstairs I have a 2008 (september) imac connected via wireless. Roaming about the house I have an iphone.

My wife uses the Imac and has been complaining of a really slow connection i.e. the loading word shows for a really long time before a site loads. I have tried both safari and firefox but there is no real speed increase. The problem is weird because if you open safari (or firefox) and go to google, google appears quite fast. if you search the results come up quite fast but when you get into a site it all begins to slow down. Especially on shoe buying sites I am told. (Not necessarily a bad thing)

So I have searched for solutions, reset safari, I have done the DNS server thing and disabled ivp6 or whatever that is. I have also run a speed test. results as follows

Mac pro - Upload 0.72 mb/s Download 18.39mb/s
Iphone in the same location as imac - Upload 0.66 mb/s Download 6.59mb/s
Imac - Upload 0.70 mb/s Download 5.33mb/s

Do these results explain the slow down and will it improve if I buy one of those systems that use the electricity supply to run the internet connection around the house?

Thanks

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Tell us how you did 'the DNS server thing' and secondly keep in mind wireless networks - eg. on an apple airport unit and i guess the Linksys would be the same - connect at the slowest speed. In this case iPhone which is 11g. You could speed things up by getting an airport express to run iPhone and run the Macs on 11n

OP
J
Reaction score
Tell us how you did 'the DNS server thing' and secondly keep in mind wireless networks - eg. on an apple airport unit and i guess the Linksys would be the same - connect at the slowest speed. In this case iPhone which is 11g. You could speed things up by getting an airport express to run iPhone and run the Macs on 11n

Hi

Thanks for the help. Yes if I did the airport express thing I could switch the router to pure n. re the dns things here is what i followed.

Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu. Click on TCP/IP and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' enter the following two numbers:

(An explanation of why that is both safe and a good idea can be read here: OpenDNS – What is OpenDNS and Why You Absolutely Need It ?

Open DNS also provides an anti-phishing feature: OpenDNS > Solutions > Home Network > Phishing Protection )

Whilst in System Preferences/Network you should also turn off 'IPv6' in your preference pane, as otherwise you may not get the full speed benefit (the DNS resolver will default to making SRV queries). If you want to know what IPv6 is:

This is Apple's guidance on iPv6:

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Using IPv6

Click on Apply Now and close the window.

Restart Safari, and repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So did u select the Airport in left Network pane for iMac when entering DNS numbers and the ethernet in left Network pane for Mac Pro when entering its DNS settings? And keep in mind that at some stage it will be necessary to enable IPv6 when more and more sites move to IPv6, but i am not sure how one gauges that point. If it is still slow - more troubleshooting is in order. Have you tried shutting all your system down and starting sequentially - first Linksys and then iPhone, then Mac Pro and then iMac.

OP
J
Reaction score
So did u select the Airport in left Network pane for iMac when entering DNS numbers and the ethernet in left Network pane for Mac Pro when entering its DNS settings? And keep in mind that at some stage it will be necessary to enable IPv6 when more and more sites move to IPv6, but i am not sure how one gauges that point. If it is still slow - more troubleshooting is in order. Have you tried shutting all your system down and starting sequentially - first Linksys and then iPhone, then Mac Pro and then iMac.

Hi

I didn't realise I had to do anything to the mac pro as that is running at lightning speed, and the iphone isnt causing a problem either. It is just the imac.

The imac is slow even if the pro is off and the iphone out of the house.

best regards

josh

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

So problem sorted all. I went out and bought the belkin powerline av kit. On end is plugged into the router and a 6 plug adapter ie not direct into the wall. The other end into the imac and straight into the wall socket. The speed on the imac is now download of 14.68mbps. I tried with the adapter near the router plugged into the wall and the speed goes up slightly.

Anyway for me this works (so far) maybe the issue lies in wifi with SL as ethernet seems fine.

thanks for all your help all. Really appreciate it.

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.