Force Open a CD drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I have a PC disk that won't display the icon on the desktop... (it happens sometimes).... is there a way to get the CD drive door to open without restarting and hitting the button continuously? Some command I can use?

I was able to open this CD on my iBook at home but now that I'm at work and put it in my G3, it won't display.
The only files on this CD are stock photos....

HELP!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The thing that has always worked for me with CD's that will not show up on the desktop is, Go to utilities and launch Disc utility and when it comes up, click on the CDROM and there is an Eject there. You should see it. give it a try.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Here's a post that might help!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sh...98427#post98427

If it works you can THANK MACMAN!
Nope, I have the "insert" disk, not a tray, no pin hole to use a paperclip either...

The thing that has always worked for me with CD's that will not show up on the desktop is, Go to utilities and launch Disc utility and when it comes up, click on the CDROM and there is an Eject there. You should see it. give it a try.

I will give that a try next time it happens.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

restart the machine and get into open firmware (hold apple+option+o+f) once in open firmware type: eject cd. The tray will open. You can either keep booting by following the onscreen instructions or restart and it'll bott automatically.

J

Jefe3223

MACyMouse said:
Nope, I have the "insert" disk, not a tray, no pin hole to use a paperclip either...
I will give that a try next time it happens.
Thanks!

Yeah..I know, that's why i started that one and just didn't piggy back yours ('cause I knew they were different types). Hope you figure out something that works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
I believe you can just restart the computer while holding the mouse down and that should open the tray.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.