13" MacBook Pro 2.53 good enough for CS4 PS/Illustrator & Final Cut Pro?

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 13": good enough to run PS/Illus/etc.?
Here’s my situation: I bought a 15” MacBook Pro a few months ago, the midrange one (2.66). I’m a college student and it just seems too big to carry around everywhere (and I prefer to type notes).

I’m still unsure of my major, but I’m leaning towards something design or art related; graphic design, industrial design, film, etc. So I need to run graphics and film programs at least decently well. That said, I am not entirely sure I will be going that route. I'm more interested in starting art-based businesses (apparel, for example) than being a full-blown artist. So I probably won't be editing 500 layers at a time in Photoshop.

I should also add that I am planning on buying an external monitor, but that my dorm is somewhat isolated from the rest of the campus, so I don’t like hanging out there. So I will probably be doing some of this graphic work on my laptop in the library/coffee shop/etc. Computer labs are an option for really intensive stuff, but I still don’t like sitting in an isolated lab/dorm for hours on end.

I’m considering selling this one and buying a 13” one instead, but I have a few concerns; mainly that I’ll be losing a few hundred dollars at minimum.

1) How well will Photoshop run on the better 13” model (2.53gHz)? Illustrator? What about Final Cut Pro?

Do you think it’s worth the monetary hit to have a more portable laptop? I paid about $2100 for this and it seems like I can sell it for $1800-1900. Any other suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Well that conclusion would be tough since you didn't actually list the specs of either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.