Quiting from the dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you quit an application from the dock by click and hold or right clicking and selecting quit.

In 10.5 there was an option that said force quit.
In 10.6 both times it just says quit. Are these 2 quits, standard quits or force quits?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you quit an application from the dock by click and hold or right clicking and selecting quit.

In 10.5 there was an option that said force quit.
In 10.6 both times it just says quit. Are these 2 quits, standard quits or force quits?

The Force Quit option only shows up if the application is not responding. This has been the case for all versions of OS X.

If you want to Force Quit an application that has not (yet) been identified as "not responding," use the Force Quit command in the Apple menu, and then select the program from the list. Or press command-option-esc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Also you can hold option while either clicking or right clicking in the dock, and the option will change from Quit to Force Quit.

Holding Option while right clicking also yields the new feature "Hide Others" changed from "Hide."

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To technologist:

Thanks for replying here. But I already know how to force quit. Thanks for telling me what I already know.

To DarkestRitual

I didn't know about the holding option thing you mentioned. That's really nifty. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for being snippy with someone who was trying to help you. Have a good day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To technologist:

Thanks for replying here. But I already know how to force quit. Thanks for telling me what I already know.
Firstly, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question. I thought (and still think) that I answered the question you asked. On the other hand, you began with a sentence fragment and apparently aren't a big fan of punctuation. I can only answer what I can understand.

Secondly, you and I are not the only people on this forum. There are many others who might benefit from knowing how the Quit and Force Quit options work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.