Charging Macbook Pro 13" with different Adaptor

Reaction score
I accidentally charged my Macbook pro 13" using my friends older 13" macbook aluminum that he bought sometime in 2008. Will this be harmful for my macbook? Thanks

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
nope magsafe is magsafe

Not really. MacBooks use 65w and MacBook Pros use 85w. It doesn't really matter which you use. If you use a 65w with a macbook pro it will just charge at 65w. If you use a 85w with a macbook it steps down to 65w. So it doesn't matter which you use but Macbook pros charge slower with a macbook charger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not really. MacBooks use 65w and MacBook Pros use 85w. It doesn't really matter which you use. If you use a 65w with a macbook pro it will just charge at 65w. If you use a 85w with a macbook it steps down to 65w. So it doesn't matter which you use but Macbook pros charge slower with a macbook charger.

Great answer! Magsafe is not always Magsafe...there are 65w & 85w adapters...so there are differences.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.