Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. I have purchased a Apple Airport Extreme card but although it fits in the slot, it can't connect because the antennas appear to be the wrong type.
After some research it seems that there is another Airport Extreme out there that has blue tooth connectors, the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card, although it seems like I should try this type instead, is it likely that this type of Airport would have the same "slot type". (sorry for the lack of technical terms), and fit into the same slot as the Airport Extreme card that I have.

What I have now http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/7/apple-airport-extreme-card.516103.jpg

What I think I should have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=370237298211

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. I have purchased a Apple Airport Extreme card but although it fits in the slot, it can't connect because the antennas appear to be the wrong type.
After some research it seems that there is another Airport Extreme out there that has blue tooth connectors, the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card, although it seems like I should try this type instead, is it likely that this type of Airport would have the same "slot type". (sorry for the lack of technical terms), and fit into the same slot as the Airport Extreme card that I have.

What I have now http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/7/apple-airport-extreme-card.516103.jpg

What I think I should have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=370237298211

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Your 2nd link didn't work for me. But if you have a 2.0ghz G5 that is a "dual- core" computer (versus a "dual-processor")...then you need the MUCH more expensive (close to $200+) blue-colored Airport extreme/bluetooth card.

If your computer has the 2 black wires that hook up to the card...then you need that MUCH more expensive card.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick says if yours is the Dual Core 2GHz machine, you need the following:-

1 x Airport/Bluetooth Combo card

1 x Stand off mounting card

Mounting screws

Stand off screws.

I could not get them anywhere here in Australia but found a complete set in LA. Price was US$149 and then Apple advises they are a dealer installable part only so US Apple dealers may be able to help.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card 802.11G iBook G4 , PM G5 LATE 2005 - $74.00

Note this is for the card itself. Read the small print about the other parts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Nick says if yours is the Dual Core 2GHz machine, you need the following:-

1 x Airport/Bluetooth Combo card

1 x Stand off mounting card

Mounting screws

Stand off screws.

I could not get them anywhere here in Australia but found a complete set in LA. Price was US$149 and then Apple advises they are a dealer installable part only so US Apple dealers may be able to help.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card 802.11G iBook G4 , PM G5 LATE 2005 - $74.00

Note this is for the card itself. Read the small print about the other parts.

Thanks for adding those details Harry. I forgot to mention the "stand-off" or "riser" card.

That price you linked for the combo-card is very very good!

Someone posted a similar problem/question a few days ago...and when I searched for prices on that card...one was like $149 dollars US (used on e-Bay)...and another one that was new was about $200 bucks.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you.

Thanks for your comments. I will look into all those parts.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi, I can't seem to find instructions on how to install an airport kit for a late 2005 g5 model computer.

Any assistance would be great.
Thanks.

Hello, I am having trouble finding instructions on how to install this airport extreme kit. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, I am having trouble finding instructions on how to install this airport extreme kit. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

Which kit are we talking about...this the card on top in the first photo, or the blue circuit board looking card in the 2nd photo?

- Nick

DSCN1243.jpg

AIRPORT-BLUETOOTH-COMBO-CARDJPG.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.