Bondi Rev. A project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Unibody 2.4
Hello there, community - it's my first post!

I just wanted to let you all know about some fun I've been having with an old machine.

I am a convert from PC. Bought a MBP early this year and am now wishing I'd made the switch a few years ago instead of buying a Dell.

I'm fairly ok at pulling things apart, so having seen an ancient iMac on eBay not long ago and picking it up (locally) for a song (3.70 GBP!) I thought I'd have a go at seeing what it would do. The object would be to let my 9 year old daughter play with it (another PC convert!) and get her used to using a Mac before getting her something faster for her 10th birthday.

It had been slightly upgraded in the past, and the all important firmware had been upgraded, which was good, as I didn't find out about that bit untill I'd actually started loading OS X!

It had 160Mb of ram, and a 10gig hard drive. It was running OS9 and seemed very useable. The original mouse just needed a clean, but the keyboard was a little unresponsive and I couldn't find the right sized allen key to get into it, so I ended up using a white kb and mouse I'd bought earlier to use with my MBP. Easy plug and play.

Then I found a PDF of the take-apart, and decided to upgrade the ram and HD. I thought I'd have a go at putting the PC100 sticks out of an old Compaq Armada laptop (2 x 256) my daughter had been using. To my delight the Bondi machine booted with the new chips. I also had a 60Gb 7200rpm ATA drive out of my old Dell 8200 and that went in, partitioned 7.5Gigs for the system (old iMacs need that apparently) and the rest for storage.

OS X 10.3 runs pretty brilliantly, all things considered. Of course it's a bit slow here and there, and it hates video intensive tasks, but compared to the Compaq laptop she used to use, my daughter thinks it's great. I've learned a lot by 'tinkering' about with an old machine, not worrying about messing anything up or breaking anything as it's basically worthless! I've got a bit of Vram coming over via USA eBay through a mate of mine who lives in Virginia and buys things and sends them to me, so we'll see if that helps it play youtube vids but I'm not holding my breath! In any case though, I'm impressed at the 233MHz machine and can't quite believe it runs in such a 'modern' way. The Compaq has a much faster processor at 650MHz, and was using the same memory but it struggled with XP and was painfully, annoyingly slow. To it's credit though, it played DVD's for her. Just.

One thing I was surprised at; I had read that I needed a USB 2.0 machine and OS X Tiger for her to use her iPod shuffle Mk2, but this little Blue iMac handles it fine. Even with software upgrade limitations now it's no longer supported.

I've now bought a USB 2.0 eMac ready for her 10th birthday and will max it out on the memory (thanks to my mate in the 'states again!) & set it up with Leopard before I give it to her. It should do everything she needs for now. I can't see her editing any video somehow! It'll be internet, itunes and pictures.

She will, in time, no doubt inherit the late 2006 MacBook I just brought back from the dead for her older brother. But - that's another story, for another post!

Cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Welcome to the forum. You got lucky that the PC-100 from the Compaq worked in the iMac...ram compatibility between Mac's & PC's is not always so successful.

Sounds like you got a really fantastic price on that iMac...especially if it came with a keyboard & mouse!

The biggest drawback to the 233mhz iMacs is that they are not wireless network capable. Wireless networking wasn't possible until the 350mhz iMacs.

Of course you didn't pay too much for this 233mhz iMac...and it sounds like you intend on upgrading your daughter to the eMac anyway...which is wireless compatible if you choose to upgrade it.

By the way, what's the processor speed on the e-Mac?

Enjoy those Mac's,

- Nick

Reaction score
The Powermac 8600 (G3) tower Im posting with right now loads web pages faster than a HP 2.8G tower I have....Oh ..Im running OS9.1. Old Macs still Rock!:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The Powermac 8600 (G3) tower Im posting with right now loads web pages faster than a HP 2.8G tower I have....Oh ..Im running OS9.1. Old Macs still Rock!:D

Well you know me...I have a couple older Mac's laying around as well...definitely some that are the same vintage as your 8600.

Usually the problem I have using these computers when trying to use them for the internet are the internet browsers (old & out dated). Especially when running OS 9.

What internet browser are you using on that 8600?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Unibody 2.4
By the way, what's the processor speed on the e-Mac?

Enjoy those Mac's,

- Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply.

The eMac is 1Ghz clock speed. I think it was a special 'lo spec' version of the USB2 eMac that was for schools. I got it on eBay from a guy who said it was checked for bad capacitors. It also has a brand new 'Superdrive' installed, but I suspect that's not an Apple part in there! It all seems genuine enough and came running Leopard in a not-too-shabby way. I'm used to my speedy MBP, now with Snow Leopard, so I'm spoiled!

To be honest, I haven't really done much on it as I'm waiting for the memory to arrive.

Also, I'm not too bothered about wireless as I've installed ethernet lines in the kids rooms years ago when I decorated the first time. We have wireless too of course, but those ports on the router are always working hard! I swear the one connected to my Boy's xbox sometimes glows!

Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Well you know me...I have a couple older Mac's laying around as well...definitely some that are the same vintage as your 8600.

Usually the problem I have using these computers when trying to use them for the internet are the internet browsers (old & out dated). Especially when running OS 9.

What internet browser are you using on that 8600?

Thanks,

- Nick

In the evening I check emails and the forums with the 8600. I use the last OS 9 version of Netscape. Also have Icab and Opera on the machine. Have other machines for deep surfen with 10.4 and some Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.