How to move mail item to calendar?

Reaction score
I've searched and can't find an answer to this seemingly simple question: how do I turn a mail item into a calendar item?

I've been using a Macbook for about 9 months and love it. With SNow Leopard's exchange functionality, I am trying to make the switch from Outlook running in Fusion to mail/ical/et al. But one critical piece of functionality has me stumped. In outlook, I could turn a mail item into a calendar or task item by simply dragging the message over the calendar icon on Outlook's folder bar and the contents would become a calendar item.

How do I do that on the Mac? Once ical has focus, it seems the dragged mail is no longer in drag mode.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If there's a date/time in the message text, hover your mouse pointer over that. You should see a dashed line and a gray arrow indicating a popup menu. Pull down the popup menu and select "Create New iCal Event..."

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, that was super easy -- what about tasks/to-do's?

Too simple. But now, I don't see a way to move a mail item into my to-do folder in Mail. I thought I could just drag it to the folder, but it won't let me, though it will let me drag it to a notes folder.

If I right click in the body of the mail, I get a "New To Do" pop up but it's greyed out. What the secret here?

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You have to right click on the text that is the to-do. Usually it's a date or something. And then it will also show up in iCal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.