Macbook SSD Installation

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a SSD for use in my Macbook. I did the normal thing, of cloning the SSD from my current drive using Disk Utility Restore, but I'm wondering if Mac OS X might do anything special when installing to a SSD (Special wear-leveling or something along those lines). Although I imagine this shouldn't be the case, I would like to ask if I missed anything by cloning my previous install from a magnetic drive.

Thanks

Reaction score
Yes if your old osx had any bad info it could cause slower ssd operations. Best way to see is time your original hdd then boot and run two or three times and run a few programs. clock speed. then do a fresh install onto an exact make and model hdd. then compare it to the original. if all times are tied you had a good original drive without corruption. In this case cloning is okay. Many times fresh installs are far faster then clones due to file corruption that you just copied from drive to drive.
as far as wear leveling mac osx does not have any that I know of as of july 2009. I have used
intel x-80m
intel x-25e fastest drive but too small.
ocz summit 120gb ssd also a nice drive.

Reaction score
I recently did the same thing. I noticed that the performance wasn't as good unless I installed a fresh copy on the ssd rather than cloning it all over.

SSD's are awesome, couldn't be happier!

Yes if your old osx had any bad info it could cause slower ssd operations. Best way to see is time your original hdd then boot and run two or three times and run a few programs. clock speed. then do a fresh install onto an exact make and model hdd. then compare it to the original. if all times are tied you had a good original drive without corruption. In this case cloning is okay. Many times fresh installs are far faster then clones due to file corruption that you just copied from drive to drive.
as far as wear leveling mac osx does not have any that I know of as of july 2009. I have used
intel x-80m
intel x-25e fastest drive but too small.
ocz summit 120gb ssd also a nice drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.