no "open recent" items with TextEdit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac
Cannot get recent items list to show. Running Snow Leopard.
Floyd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White Leopard, 10.5.7, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, 148 GB, iWork '08, iLife '09
Hmmm?

Well, I hope I can help you here. Open Recent is a really helpful thing to have in your menu bar, so I will do my best to get it back for you.

1) Firstly, check again that it isn't there (File, Open Recent).
2) If it definitely isn't then go to open (File, Open).
3) Open a random Rich Text formatted file. Then try step 1 again.
4) If those steps fail, I have failed. I have just been browsing TextEdit preferences, etc and have found nothing to do with your matter. I am afraid the only thing I can think of is contacting apple. I am sure they will be more than willing to help!

Bendy Straw, The Not So Helpful Mac User this Time!

EDIT: I just noticed you say you are using Snow Leopard. I have Leopard currently, so our TextEdit applications may be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope, it's still there...

Screen shot 2009-09-11 at 3.34.32 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st I'd try opening up TextEdit Preferences and hit the Restore all defaults button

Next, probably run a Repair Permissions

Still not working - then try moving both preference files to the desktop, log out and back in - they're located at:

Users/youruser/Library/Preferences/com.Apple.textedit...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
System Prefs > Appearance > Number of Recent Items.
SL seems to have turned the recent items to none for several users.
S.

Reaction score
Thanks, torchy. I really missed having that feature. I thought
System Prefs > Appearance > Number of Recent Items
only referred to the Apple Menu.

How great it is that I live in Florida and you are in New Zealand and I got the help I needed!!

Thanks to Mac-forums.com too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Glad I could help ~ small world isn't it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
EDIT: I just noticed you say you are using Snow Leopard. I have Leopard currently, so our TextEdit applications may be different.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on a Macbook, and I too am finding nothing in Open Recent other than Clear Menu (greyed out).

From memory, and I can't verify it at present, TextEdit displayed Recent Items in OS Tiger, and I know it works in SLpd on my Mini. As pointed out in one of the replies to this thread, there is nothing in TextEdit Prefs to restore the function, and SysPrefs has the setting of 10 documents in Recent Items.

I trashed the TE Prefs file, but no change. What about the <com.apple.recentitems.plist>, what effect would trashing that file have? I've already repaired permissions with Onyx several times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.