how can I hide folders?

Reaction score
I was trying to search the forum to see if anyone posted anything about hiding and unhiding folders but the spam protection kept telling me I was wrong every time! ?
Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been posted already but I was wondering if there is a simple way by just a stroke of your keys if you can hide and unhide folders?

Thanks, I appreciate it. :]

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can hide a folder by putting a . in front of the name. The only way you'll be able to get at it again is to do one of the following:
1. Show every folder/file in Finder. Not recommended as you can easily mess up/delete files you shouldn't.
2. Use the Terminal. This is easy but requires some basic proficiency with bash commands.
3. Push Shift-Command-G in the Finder and enter the path to the folder manually.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was trying to search the forum to see if anyone posted anything about hiding and unhiding folders but the spam protection kept telling me I was wrong every time! ?
Anyway, I'm sorry if this has been posted already but I was wondering if there is a simple way by just a stroke of your keys if you can hide and unhide folders?

Thanks, I appreciate it. :]

I'm not sure I 100% understand what you want to do...what do you mean by "hide or unhide":

- make the folders truly invisible?
- simply put them away...so you don't see them on the desktop?

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
On my old dell laptop you could go to my computer, click options, click on the view tab then click on show all files and all the files that that you had saved or didn't want anyone to see could be hidden or show again and I was just wondering if there was that kind of option on a mac? Sorry if that sounds confusing, dell lap tops are cheap and thats all I ever had until I could finally afford a macbook and I just wanted to see if there was something I could do like that on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
vansmith was right

Just put a "." at the beginning of the folder's name, and it will be hidden. If you set your computer to show all files, the icon gets a little less defined.

To set it to show all files, type into terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.