Mac Mini G4 or Intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
So I am in the market for a Mac Mini to serve as a media center and hopefully make it support 1920 x 1080. The question is which Mac Mini to get. I am looking for superior image and sound, as it will be hooked up to an Onkyo 7.1 Home Theatre which then will be displayed in full HD on my Samsung.

Would the graphics card in a G4 be ok or will I need something better like the NVidia graphics in the new Mini's?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As all of the latest Mac Mini's use the Intel processors (actually all of the Mac's), you're better of sticking with the Intel version. If you pick up the pre-2009 version, you can even upgrade the CPU should it not suffice for you..

The 2009 models are a little harder to upgrade from what I've heard..

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Easy answer...get the Intel Mini.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since this is going to be a Media Center, NO G4 in my house (and I have a Modded PowerMac G4 1.8Ghz) will play 1080p HD. Slide Show at best. I own the top G4 1.5Ghz Mini and even 720p HD is not very good.

Go with the Intel. The New Mini is your best bet as it's even faster and uses a 64Bit C2D (Early Minis were a 32 Bit Core Duo) and a much better Video Chipset.

And besides all of that, Snow Leopard is shaping into a much better Multimedia OS and will not run on any Power PC CPU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
yes, get the Intel. I can tell yo from experience how much....better the Intel systems are when pared against the G4s (I switched from an iMac G4 to an Intel Mac Mini).

Reaction score
You'll want the Intel not only for its speed and video features, but also because the PPC Macs are nearing obsolescence. Snow Leopard, which only runs on Intel systems, provides a nice speed boost and frees up hard drive space when compared to traditional Leopard, so you'll have a better experience overall. This is important when dealing with multimedia, as you'll want a responsive system with plenty of room for storing iTunes files (if you will be buying your movies through the service).

Additionally, keeping your machine up to date when using multimedia technologies is key, especially components such as QuickTime. When a major version change occurs, expect some of the older models to get left behind, especially the PPCs. Veteran Mac users may remember this happening with the 680x0 to PPC transition in the 1990s. The first PPC models appeared in early 1994. By late 1998, nearly everything was PPC only (including MS Office and the Mac OS, which was at version 8.5 at the time).

Apple also declares hardware "vintage" or "obsolete" quicker than in the past. The days of being guaranteed repair parts for a 12 year old Macintosh Plus are long gone. Part production is usually halted five to seven years after the computer itself is discontinued (although parts are always available in California for seven years due to a state law). Keep in mind that Mac Minis with G4 processors were discontinued in early 2006, about three and a half years ago.

At this point, a G4 computer's long term future best projects it as a backup machine for an Intel Mac, a computer for your children, or as an extra computer to use in the kitchen as a CD player and recipe book. Like the 68040s in 1998, the PPCs will probably be extremely tough to find modern software or software updates for next year at this time. They will still work fine for practical applications (I still use an iBook G3 for word processing), but for multimedia, where updates are key, you'll want something capable of running modern software and accepting updates to keep services (such as iTunes) working.

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Thanks alot u guys, im looking in the refurb section on apple now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.