A Few Questions About Switching to OSX

B

bUrGe

Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Here’s where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which I’ve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
bUrGe said:
Hi guys,

New to this forum and have a few queries.......................

Currently running a few dual G4's on OS9.2 (OSX is there but I don't use it as I've got old software - namely quark, Photoshop and illustrator)

I'm looking at buying a 12" Powerbook this week but just noticed one thing

They no longer seem to ship with OS9 as a secondary OS - is that correct?

So now I have 2 choices...................

Can I buy the Powerbook and wipe it, installing OS9 somehow? If so, is it a ball ache?

Or..................

I have to switch to OSX (I suppose I should at some point!)

Here’s where my worries lie...................

I have a lot of fonts which I’ve acquired over the years - in the old OS9 format? Are these redundant in OSX or can I use them? From what I've seen they use .ttf like PCs?

Secondly, I have an old Fiery rip hooked up to a canon CLC Colour Laser Copier / Printer - as far as I know it has extensions and plug-ins for my OS9 for it to work - what are the chances of me getting this hooked up with OSX?

Finally, where is the best place to buy software? I am running Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 8 on my machines, so I'd want to get Quark 6, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS in order to make my machines fully OSX Native - what's my best and cheapest route to upgrade?

Can anyone think of any other issues? I can't afford any downtime with the upgrade other than my issues listed above or ones I am made aware of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

none of apple's new hardware supports booting from OS 9 anymore, so you cannot use os 9 on new powerbooks.
but, you can run classic apps in os X's classic environment. (you'll have to install classic from native os X CDs). apps will work, but much slower.

not sure about fonts and software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.

OP
B

bUrGe

technologist said:
Fonts will work just fine, just copy them over. OS X supports just about every font format in the book, including Windows fonts.

Classic isn't much slower (maybe 10%) than running them on an actual OS 9 install. It's probably faster than OS X, since it doesn't have all the eye candy. Still, it feels awkward, and it's a dead end.

Adobe's in the process of releasing Creative Suite 2. There might be a discounted upgrade, check the Adobe site.

going down the OSX native route............

expensive, but got to be done!!!!!

anyone recommend an ultra-portable projector?

must be totally clutter free like the 12" powerbook, not look out of place and be tiny - the best i've found so far is the Panasonic PT-LM1 - not bad too @ £500

Creative Suite 2 doesn't ship until May unfortunately - pity!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
infocus has nice projectors too. if you are happy with lower resolution 800x600, you can get a really tiny one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.