free space cleaner for Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What is a "free space cleaner?" Can you describe what it is you want to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does anyone know of a good "free space cleaner" that works on Mac OS X?
Thanks!

The Trash can.

Put what you don't want in there and empty it and voila... more HD space is available. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Does anyone know of a good "free space cleaner" that works on Mac OS X?

TechTool Pro has a Wipe Free Space routine, with three options, one of which uses the method required by the U.S. Department of Defense. That should be good enough, eh? Of course, TTP does not come without a cost...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
TechTool Pro has a Wipe Free Space routine, with three options, one of which uses the method required by the U.S. Department of Defense. That should be good enough, eh? Of course, TTP does not come without a cost...

"Disk Utility" that's part of the Mac OS does the same thing.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
OmniDiskSweeper, Omni apps came preinstalled with some of the earlier macs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm assuming he's referring to Tiger or earlier since that's the last time Macs came bundled with Omni software.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your responses. Here's what I did:

I used Mac Disk Utility to erase free disk space (thanks Nick). To erase free disk space:

In Disk Utility, select the disk or volume in the list with the free space you want to erase.Click Erase, and then click the Erase Free Space button.
Select how to erase the free space, and then click Erase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
Yeah, sorry. My wife has a MBP w/ Tiger. I tease her about her "old" computer, and she teases me back about being a bit of a geek. I should have said 'with Tiger', instead of 'earlier Macs'. It just spilled out. An unconscious habit I suppose. For the record, as a Tiger user she loves her mac and would never switch, but she is totally unimpressed w/ Leopard and Snow Leopard. To each their own.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, sorry. My wife has a MBP w/ Tiger. I tease her about her "old" computer, and she teases me back about being a bit of a geek. I should have said 'with Tiger', instead of 'earlier Macs'. It just spilled out. An unconscious habit I suppose. For the record, as a Tiger user she loves her mac and would never switch, but she is totally unimpressed w/ Leopard and Snow Leopard. To each their own.

The reason why I asked what you consider an "older mac"...some folks think last years computer is "old or older"...and some other folks think 5 years is old, and still others may think 10 years is old...it's all relative.

Thanks for your reply,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The reason why I asked what you consider an "older mac"...some folks think last years computer is "old or older"...
Some people think last month's computer is "old or older".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used Mac Disk Utility to erase free disk space (thanks Nick). To erase free disk space:

In Disk Utility, select the disk or volume in the list with the free space you want to erase.Click Erase, and then click the Erase Free Space button.
Select how to erase the free space, and then click Erase.

Good job! As you probably found...Disk Utility is capable of doing an "over-write free space" operation where it can do a 1, 7, or 35 times over-write of the free space by writing zero's to the disk. With the 7x overwrite exceeding the US DOD (Department of Defense) specification for security.

Of course the 7x & 35x overwrite takes that many times longer to complete vs. the 1x.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.