Installing Ram possible issue

Reaction score
I have the new 2.13 macbook and it supports .800 mhz ram. Well I bought 4 gig's of .800 mhz ram today and installed it and when I fired my mac up it works, but it only shows 4 gig's running at .667 mhz. Is this normal or is something wrong with either my mac or the ram? Or is there something I'm missing that I should be doing?

Thanks

jtcannonball

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the exact memory you purchased? Brand, specs? Can you supply us with the URL of where you bought it at?

Your machine (if your info is correct) uses PC2 6400 800 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM modules. You can install up to 4 GB (Apple) or 6 GB.

If System Profiler is reporting the memory is running at 667 MHz, you may have purchased PC2 5300 667 MHz modules instead. Earlier model MacBook machines (the one I own) use that memory.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
I work at best buy and I purchased the corsair brand and the packaging said it was ddr2 800 mhz. However I exchanged it out today for kensington and booted it up at work so if it didn't work I could just do it again before I went home. It instantly fired up and when I checked it ran at .800 mhz. Problem was I have a class in another town at night and bought mine while there and was to impatient to just wait when that best buy didn't have the choice I wanted in stock. My store did today so I guess the geeks now best when they recommended for me to stay away from corsair.

Does it really support 6 gig?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you got it sorted out. They probably had the wrong memory in the original box you purchased. And yes, stay away from Corsair memory. I only buy from Crucial or OWC.

And yes, your MacBook supports 1 x 2 GB + 1 x 4 GB = 6 GB. The official supported memory capacity as Apple has it is 4 GB. I think 4 GB is plenty for most folks anyway.

Have fun and regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.