Kernel Panic when booting Tiger Install CDs on a 10.5 Mini G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini G4: 1.33Ghz PowerPC, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD. Power Mac G3: 233Mhz PowerPC, 96MB RAM, 2GB HDD
Hey all,

I brought a Mac Mini G4 off eBay for a reasonable amount of money, and it came with Tiger installation discs. It had Leopard installed on the Mac Mini and I said to the seller I'd format it (as it has his licenses on the computer and I don't want to get him in trouble).

Here's what I did:

Booted the Mini, inserted Mac Mini G4 Install Disc 1 when it came on the 10.5 Desktop. Rebooted and it started booting from the disc after the "Dahhhhhhh!" chime.

Apple grey logo appears. The spinner starts spinning. After a moment, it goes dark grey and says "You need to reboot your computer". Text appears on the screen; it says:

PANIC: Unable to find driver for device 'PowerMac10,2'
....blah blah panic stack info etc blah blah...
Darwin Kernel v9.0 (other info on this line)
PANIC: We are hanging here...

System Spec: PowerPC G4 Mac Mini @ 1.33Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Combo CDRW/DVD Drive.

I suspect that Leopard upgraded some CPU related hardware device and now Tiger isn't liking that upgrade.

Is it possible to get Tiger installed on the Mini? I know you're possibly thinking "You n00b, Leopard > Tiger" but I want to see what Tiger is like.

Cheers,
HappyMac64

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a G4 Mini, and I doubt the Tiger discs you are using were originally issued with the machine and that is where your problem probably lay. If you want to go this way purchase a Tiger OS X.4 full install DVD, and not the silver/grey model specific.

Here are the specs and you will see the machine, listed is 1.25GHz as 1.33 does not appear, originally came with Panther OS X.3.7 install discs:-

Apple Mac mini G4/1.25 Specs (Mac mini - M9686LL/A*) @ EveryMac.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.