iCal and Blackberry

Reaction score
I have a newbie question.
With the forthcoming Desktop Manager for Mac will I be able to sync my ical to my Blackberry? Will the ical become THE calendar on my Blackberry phone? Or will I still have the BB calendar that comes standard on the phone?
Also, will I be able to sync my Blackberry, my imac and another Mac Mini?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Ical will sync with the calendar on your phone, not sure about syncing the imac , mini, and blackberry. But since your syncing and ical will pick up on any events on the blackberry calendar I don't see why not. Desktop Manager for Macs was leaked a week or so.

Leaked: BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac | Berry Reporter/

It works fine with my BB 8330 Curve. I sync the calendar, contacts, and music (itunes playlists). Too bad it won't sync .m4b audiobooks though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Well, I have used the leaked software, and cannot get the calendar to sync at all! I have tried using a couple of calendars, and then just using my Home" calendar, and nothing syncs. Hopefully when the real software comes out calendar syncing will work.

If anyone out there has a solution for me, I'd sure appreciate it! I really want to sync my calendar!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
The leaked version works fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been playing with this, and have discovered something! For iCal and for Address Book, if I try to sync just some of my "groups" in Address Book, and/or some of my calendars (but not all) the sync does not work. However, if I tell it to sync all calendars and all contacts, they sync appropriately! Not quite what I want, but I guess too much is better than not enough!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I've also used the new desktop manager for Mac and didn't like how it synced my address book. Anything that was added to my phone from my Mac was unable to be edited using my phone. If I wanted to add a picture, change the spelling of a name or anything else it would not allow me to save changes on my phone. I hope it's fixed under a new update soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
I'm Blackberry illiterate so I'll assume that not long ago there were no syncing capabilities with a Mac and a Blackberry, is this right?

Just wondering if anyone with a Blackberry knows if the problems mentioned here have been worked out with an update yet?

I've got Sprint and am looking into getting a Blackberry for emails mostly. But it would be nice to have it sync with iCal too. And I'd probably do a little iTunes with it too.

Opinions on syncing the two from anyone with a Blackberry and a Mac would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Can't say about the Ical but you won't be able to sync it with iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a relatively new blackberry app, Blackberry Desktop Manager for mac (or something like that) that will sync your calendar, address book, to-dos, etc.). For photos and music, you need to let your blackberry mount as an external disk and drag your photos and music to your media card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and now I remember where I saw that you could sync your iTunes:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Just looking for real life experience from those using it...

and wondering if this quote from the above link:
"Only 32-bit mode is supported on Mac OS X v10.6"
means that you have to have rosetta installed or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and now I remember where I saw that you could sync your iTunes:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Just looking for real life experience from those using it...

and wondering if this quote from the above link:
"Only 32-bit mode is supported on Mac OS X v10.6"
means that you have to have rosetta installed or what?

No to the Rosetta question. I'm running SL and don't have Rosetta installed and the desktop mgr for Mac works for me. I still haven't tried syncing addresses since my bad experience prior with not being able to edit them on my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No to the Rosetta question. I'm running SL and don't have Rosetta installed and the desktop mgr for Mac works for me. I still haven't tried syncing addresses since my bad experience prior with not being able to edit them on my phone.

Then what are you doing with the Mac Desktop Manager and your Blackberry?

I am using iCal as an ongoing journal of sorts. I'm a single father that needs to keep very organized with the various events. Currently I keep a printed out hard copy of my iCal in my Day Planner. It would be nice to just have both a phone and Mac calendar that would work seamlessly together. I often put in a fair amount of detail for a day. Again as if it were a journal.

Also vcards contact synchronization would be great too for contacts.

I should say that the sales guys I've talked to at Sprint don't know much at all in regards to how Blackberry works with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've only used it for syncing addresses and iCal. Had to play around with the options as far as which direction the info was "flowing" (it was my 1st time syncing). ***I should also note that I was using an early release of the software so maybe my "issues" were related to that. Since then I've removed it and installed the official version from BB's website***

I'd recommend backing up your phone first. This is an option within the Desktop Manager when you connect your phone. Also, backup your Mac's address book and iCal in case the phone deletes or writes over that info.
I have not tried it with "notes", so can't say one way or the other there.
Basically play around with it and you'll find which options work best for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.