iMac system crash

Reaction score
My iMac crashed twice in the last 2 weeks. The hard disk is dead I think. I was thinking of replacing it, but after seeing what it takes, I guess I will go the external drive way. I can't believe it is that difficult to replace an internal drive (i miss my pc). I am looking at buying an external drive and install osx on there. I know firewire is faster than usb, but will i really notice a huge difference if I use a usb ?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
You need to tell us the flavor of your Imac,which one it is. As you may not be able to boot from an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if it is a PowerPC iMac USB, even USB2 will simply not work. Should have purchased a tower as you can now appreciate there is a huge price to pay for the glossy compact machines.

Difficult to replace HDD and optical drives, can't upgrade graphics, not so easy adding more memory and severe limitations etc.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm sorry I should have been more specific.
It's the 20inch Intel iMac. Bought it new in February 2008.
Does that help ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.