2nd Kernel Panic since Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
Based on the mismatched information I have been able to gather about Kernel Panics, it could be anything. I'm wondering if it may be a problem with my memory. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Screen shot 2009-09-10 at 5.44.19 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Run Apple Hardware Test from disc one of your MacBook system restore discs and check it out.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Could be many things. Have you installed any third party RAM recently?

If the AHT comes back clean, try verifying and repairing your disk permissions using your OS X install disc (don't install or format anything of course).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It could also be incompatible software. Did you do a clean install of Snow Leopard, or just a straight upgrade?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could definitely be memory related.

None of mine have been. So far I have been able to pinpoint the cause of my Kernel Panics by opening up Console (in Applications / Utilities) and browsing through the logs.

I had one upon the install of SL that prevented the machine from even booting.
A rogue piece of software was the cause. Eliminating the cause is not always as easy as finding what it is.

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel 2.4, 10.6.1, XP Partition | 1st Gen Time Capsule | 5th Gen 30GB iPod
Update from another computer

I trashed some freeware I don't use.

I updated to 10.6.1 (which came out today by the way)

I am currently doing a "critical" Office 2008 update, I checked the logs and ppt had a very long string of error codes. Doesn't surprise me at all.

When I installed Office the boot time slowed considerably. SL didn't really fix that, but my MB shuts down faster.

Before I did each of these individually I vainly attempted to do a few too many things at once - and at that time experienced another Kernel Panic, which suggest memory issues to me. I do not have third party memory, but that really doesn't mean anything.

I also did a disk verify and repair, that went smoothly.

I think I've done all I can do. Now I will debate on how I might be able to acquire greater evidence that the memory needs to be replaced. That will be $200.00, not really looking forward to that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
$200.00 to replace the memory? Where are you buying your memory from?

Crucial and OWC price for 2 x 2 GB modules is around $55 to $60.

Regards.

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
memory

I've just read too many bad reviews about Crucial, I might consider Corsair but even then I rather test it myself, on a computer that did not belong to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just read too many bad reviews about Crucial, I might consider Corsair but even then I rather test it myself, on a computer that did not belong to me.

I've used Crucial exclusively for both my company where I support over a thousand machines, my own personal machines as well as my private business repairing PCs and I've never had a faulty module - not one, in well over 2000 modules that I've purchased from them. I only had to deal with their customer service on one occasion (I was trying to match part numbers to upgrade to a dual-channel setup and got the wrong part) and their CS was exemplary.

Crucial is the retail arm of Micron, the largest memory supplier in the world. They are an OEM to all of the major vendors (including Apple) and many of the other brands (like Corsair) who don't actually make their own chips, buy them from Micron.

Not sure where you're reading reviews, but almost everything I've ever seen mimics my own experience.

Even if you decide not to go with Crucial, the other memory supplier that I recommend is OWC as they are very well rated and use high quality Mac-verified memory modules. I have a hard time recommending Corsair as they advertise their products via paid shills in the form of forum spammers.

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is interesting. I've actually never seen a Corsair ad, much less spam. What I do know is that based on my experience they produce quality products.

While I am moved by your passion for Crucial, the irony does not escape me. That is, for a forum moderator to be condemning "forum spammers" in this case memory module manufacturers, while at the same time so ardently singing the praises of this forums sponsor (re: ad at the top of the page).

I mean no disrespect sir, I promise. But I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this with a bit of a smirk. I just happen to have no problem 'going there' as they say.

I believe the next reply should read; 'oohno he dent't'
:Smirk:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is interesting. I've actually never seen a Corsair ad, much less spam. What I do know is that based on my experience they produce quality products.

While I am moved by your passion for Crucial, the irony does not escape me. That is, for a forum moderator to be condemning "forum spammers" in this case memory module manufacturers, while at the same time so ardently singing the praises of this forums sponsor (re: ad at the top of the page).

I mean no disrespect sir, I promise. But I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this with a bit of a smirk. I just happen to have no problem 'going there' as they say.

Yes, I am moderator here, but am not an employee. I'm a member just like you, but have certain abilities beyond simply posting. I also don't see the ads since as a moderator, I have premium membership.

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, I believe I read something about not seeing ads with the membership upgrade. :Blushing: Well...., okay then. Thank You for the advice.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

You read too much into it. Neither he nor I nor any of the other moderators here are paid a cent or as far as I am aware, have any financial stake in the forum whatsoever. Am pretty sure cwa also browses the site using the "ad free" skin (which is available to all Premium Members) and would not have a clue who the advertisers happen to be.

I understand cwa's response to Corsair for example. They do go about advertising in a way that could definitely be seen as spam. But I have been a fan of their memory for many years, only because I used their high end memory specifically for overclocking and came to rely on them in that scenario. So much so that I am using some of their CAS4 memory in my MBP.

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, its the memory

This morning I got my answer. I attempted to boot my MB only to hear the fatal continuous beep, beep, beep, beep....

I checked and the memory is installed correctly (obviously). I called Apple and the support rep scheduled an appointment for noon at the Apple store downtown. He agreed that it seemed to be faulty memory. But of course they still have to check it out before replacing it (yes, still under warranty). I will be very disappointed if they don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" unibody MBP, Core Duo 2.66, NIVIDEA 9400 graphics, 4GB DDR3
Yes, I am moderator here, but am not an employee. I'm a member just like you, but have certain abilities beyond simply posting. I also don't see the ads since as a moderator, I have premium membership.

I also don't see ads, since as a Firefox user I can run Adblock Plus! ;-)

OP
bobross
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Memory was replaced. I received excellent service. :D

All this talk of no ads is making it very tempting to upgrade my membership.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.