G5 Powermac-what does this mean?

Reaction score
hi folks, im wondering if anyone has any leads on an issue im having w/ my G5 2.0Ghz Powermac w/ 8Gb RAM:

i have tried to install OSX (10.4 or 10.5, both do the same thing) from the original discs. EVERY time i do this, the computer freezes at some point in installation. not always at the same place, but always freezes.

i am able to boot the computer in FIREWIRE mode via an external drive running 10.4.11. i can leave it on, and open several programs, and it wont freeze up at all.

is this an internal hard drive problem most likely? or motherboard issue? the internal hard drive is an old Maxtor that was installed when the computer's PSU failed. in DISK UTILITY, it verifies and repairs properly.

thanks for any leads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What do you mean the original discs as the G5 sure did not come with leopard, and not usually Tiger unless it is a 2006 Dual Core? Are you using the silver grey system restore discs from another G5 because they sure will not work.

You need the black coloured full retail install DVD.

OP
R
Reaction score
so 10.5 cannot be installed on a 2.0Ghz dual core Powermac G5? i have another one of these exact same computers running 10.4.11, and it had no problem installing that OS. those original grey discs didnt work on the BAD one.

so i have to install 10.3, and then i can install 10.4 or 10.5? this seems wierd, i've never had to do that.....but if that's the case, then i guess ill need to find it somewhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You misunderstand.

If you have full install Leopard DVD (black) by all means the G5 will accept it. They will not accept system restore discs from a different machine. The original grey discs are very strictly machine limited to the precise model they came with.

OP
R
Reaction score
got it-but the original Leopard install disc 10.5 results in the same problem: it will inevitably freeze at some point in the installation process.

as the behavior is exactly the same as if i am using the original gray 10.4 disc, it seems unlikely that it has anything to do with either 10.4 or 10.5, but more likely a hardware, or hard drive, issue. any leads?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After you boot from the leopard disc, are you going to Utilities, running Repair Disk, then formatting Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and then into Apple Partition Map?

OP
R
Reaction score
yes, with the caveat that i never made it thru the install process fully. what i would do is boot from disc; it automatically starts you into the installation process. i would then open disk utility BEFORE continuing install, and repair and verify disk permissions. then continued install. no dice. tried it a few times, even ERASED the disc, then repair/verify. still would freeze somewhere....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like the disc is failing. What does SMART Status say did you notice when in Disk Utility?

OP
R
Reaction score
ok, thanks. i dont remember what the SMART status said, i just remember it saying "the disc appears to be fine" or whatever.

i just ordered a new HD, so i'll either rule it out, or have it solved. thanks much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.