What version of osx am i on

Reaction score
OK just made the switch from PC to IMAC 20" and everything has gone really straight forward so far. However in the setup pack i had a CD for Snow leopard... My question is how do i tell if Snow leopard is already installed on my MAC or do i have to install it myself.

Basically how do i tell which operating system i am using?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK just made the switch from PC to IMAC 20" and everything has gone really straight forward so far. However in the setup pack i had a CD for Snow leopard... My question is how do i tell if Snow leopard is already installed on my MAC or do i have to install it myself.

Basically how do i tell which operating system i am using?

Go to the "Apple" menu, choose "About This Mac"...and that screen/window will tell you.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
click on the apple at the upper left corner of your screen then on "About this Mac" if it says 10.4 it's Tiger, 10.5 it's Leopard, 10.6 it's Snow Leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK i've found out what version of OSX i'm on 10.5.6 do i need to install the Snow leopard version that came with the IMAC?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple Menu (top left) > About This Mac. If it says you are using 10.6, you're using Snow Leopard. If it says 10.5.x (x being a number), you're using Leopard.

EDIT: Wow, I'm a slow typer apparently. If you want Snow Leopard installed, then yes, you need to use that disk to upgrade your machine. Remember to back up all your data before you do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OK i've found out what version of OSX i'm on 10.5.6 do i need to install the Snow leopard version that came with the IMAC?
You certainly don't need to.
You can install it if you like, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you get a DVD that says Snow Leopard on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, then it's all up to you. I was simply curious because well... I've never happened to make a purchase that coincides with a new OS :D

I can say that the upgrades been completely painless.

OP
M
Reaction score
it just seemed a bit odd that it wasn't already installed and was in the box with all the bits and bobs...i'll give it a go anyway...really stupid question coming up..

Does the disk go in the drive with the picture facing me or away?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iMac? Facing you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
it just seemed a bit odd that it wasn't already installed and was in the box with all the bits and bobs
If you bought yours close to the release date, they would have just included it and left it up to you to install it. Your machine is by no means an anomaly. :) (To be fair, I'm like Dysfunction - never purchased a machine close to an OS release date so I'm going on what I've heard).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.