External Hard drive PC to Mac Transfer...

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have searched the forum, but have not found any threads to what I am looking for, if there is one please link me.

Here's the deal: Just bought a new MBP a few weeks ago.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Hard Drive: 320 gb
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4gb
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

At the moment I'm primarily using it for just web browsing, email, school papers, etc...but eventually will use it for music production.
I'm wanting to buy an external hard drive to transfer over my files and music from my XP laptop, and I have been looking at :
Brand New Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential 2.0 USB - eBay (item 300344734111 end time Sep-10-09 20:29:00 PDT)

and if I dont get that one I will get:
Newegg.com - Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U10000N - External Hard Drives

I would like directions on exactly how to transfer all my files from my Windows XP laptop to the external Hard drive then hook it up to my MBP. Also, I have installed the Sims 3 on my MBP, can I uninstall it and then reinstall it on the external to save space on my MBP? I'm looking to save the overall health of my MBP, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

T

todd51

Either hard drive should be fine. It will probably come formatted with the FAT32 file system, in which case it should work fine for both the XP and OSX operating systems. Just plug it into your XP laptop, transfer the files, then plug it into your MBP and it should come up to transfer everything back over. The only drawback with a FAT32 partition is that no one file can exceed 4GB of size.

I'm afraid you probably won't be able to play Sims 3 over your external drive, I think you'll have to install it on your MBP's hard drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
One last quick question...If there is a virus on my PC and I transfer the files to the external harddrive will that effect the hard drive and/or my MBP?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you install Windows on your Mac, they can and will affect Windows. Other than that, no.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.