To OEM or not to OEM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 iMac - OSX Snow Leopard
Hey guys, I have a novice question. I'd like to get a copy of Windows to run in Boot Camp, but I really don't feel like spending $299 or more for Vista. I found an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate on Amazon for $99. Seems reasonable, but I know the disadvantages of the OEM copy.

Can I use the OEM copy on my iMac? Obviously I'm not going to be making hardware changes, and I don't need their support.

Any opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
You shouldn't - it will break some laws regarding the correct usage of an OEM licensed copy of Windows. In this case, like most things, you pay the price.

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by OEM - an "OEM System Builder" version is a perfectly good and legal choice. An OEM disk supplied by a computer manufacturer with its system, e.g., a Dell or HP branded disk, will not work with Boot Camp and is an EULA violation.

The System Builder OEM versions can be had much cheaper than the full retail versions, and are identical to them except that they can only be installed on one computer, ever. You need to be sure that whatever you buy is legal on the one hand, and an OEM System Builder version on the other hand. Also check out the OEMSB versions at newegg.com - that's where I got mine and they are reliable.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Depends on what you mean by OEM - an "OEM System Builder" version is a perfectly good and legal choice. An OEM disk supplied by a computer manufacturer with its system, e.g., a Dell or HP branded disk, will not work with Boot Camp and is an EULA violation.

The System Builder OEM versions can be had much cheaper than the full retail versions, and are identical to them except that they can only be installed on one computer, ever. You need to be sure that whatever you buy is legal on the one hand, and an OEM System Builder version on the other hand. Also check out the OEMSB versions at newegg.com - that's where I got mine and they are reliable.

Cheers

I have used an OEM for System Builders version on Boot Camp. As you said, it is a perfectly legitimate choice. Just keep in mind that you may not (at least according to the EULA) port that install to another machine. It is intended to be sold with a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.