Installing OSX on any computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I got an iPhone a few weeks ago and now its really pulled me much closer to trying Mac OS than I thought id ever be!

I went into the apple store near me and the MacBook Pro is a quite expensive at around £2000. I cant justify spending that kinda money on something im not sure about, so...

Is it possible to just buy osx and install and run it on a spare computer that I have at home?

Maybe this is a silly question, I dont know. I can see that apple have their marketing well sorted out and they are going for desirability with the design and stuff. So taking this into consideration I imagine they might not be too keen on people installing their OS on any old computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It would be a violation of the EULA, and thus instructions on doing so is not something you'll find on this forum.. I will say though that since OS X is really built on a specific hardware set one could find drivers etc a challenge

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And since it would be against the EULA of OS X...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.