PKCS11 Module

Reaction score
Hi all! I've been having issues with something called "Safari Webpage Preview Fetcher". This little ditty is causing my MacBook to be constantly running on high cool (for lack of better terms). It causes the CPU's to hit 100% on it's usage alone! I researched this problem, and right now, until Apple gets it fixed, the general consensus seems to be to either disable it, (but it comes right back as soon as you surf to a regularly used site), or use an alternate browser. I'm re-considering the FF browser, but there seems to be a problem with their new 3.5.3 version still. One of them seems to be something called the "PKCS11 Module" My question...what is it's function? On their site, it states this; "Web pages can no longer automatically install PKCS11 cryptographic tokens. Users are now required to do this manually or install an Add-on that installs them (see instructions and documentation)". And this; "PKCS11 modules are external modules which provide access to smart-card readers, biometric security devices, or external certificate stores. There are two methods for installing PKCS11 modules into Firefox. Users can use the preferences dialog to install or remove PKCS11 module. Extensions can programmatically manage PKCS11 modules using the nsIPKCS11 programming interface."

My question...finally;) , what exactly is this module, in people-speak :), and should I download their solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Some computer systems require a security card or biometric verification in addition to a password for access to the network. This "two-factor authentication" is most often used in situations where security is especially important (military, research labs, etc.). PKCS11 is the module that allows card readers, fingerprint readers, etc. to interface with the OS and browsers such as Firefox. Unless you use such authentication methods on your computer, there's no reason to even have PKCS11 on your personal machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.