IPhone 3GS OS3.1

Reaction score
peeps, anyone here who updated their Iphone 3gs to the new OS 3.1? was their an issue?

is it okay to download and install this latest OS (3.1) even though you have not updated to OS 3.0.1?

I did not risk my phone into updating to OS 3.0.1 as I have read so many issues like the phone is dead and became a worthless brick to crashing and the likes so i did not update my OS 3.0 now a new OS was released (3.1) is it fine if i update to new version even without pasing to 3.0.1?

any advise and inputs? before i jump into udating to the latest OS?

Thank you guys in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Yes - I did today

I downloaded & installed 3.1 today. I had no problems and my iPhone 3Gs is working great. The download did take a little longer than I anticipated but nothing extremely long.

OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
thanks for the info, please update me later or after you used it several times if you have encountered issues...

thanks again...;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Updated my 3G the moment it was released and haven't noticed any problems with it. I also upgraded to iTunes 9 at the same time..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've noticed some lag. It sometimes seems I'll open an app and it will just lock up for 10-30 seconds and then work normally. It may just be my phone though.

OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
Raz0rEdge, baggss, thank you very much for the nice input, i thnk I still have to wait a little while to upgrade as my current OS 3.0 is working wonderfully like what baggs said there seems to be a alg time...

though i have updated to Itunes 9, i notice a slow responce when you flip and choose between 1 app to another, unlike before when you click its there in an instant now its very slow. did you notice also? just asking..and because of this i have second thoughts yet ...

thank you again for the wonderful input guys...

Reaction score
The only thing that I have noticed is sometimes when I open the myspace app it gets stuck in the login screen. But thats not all the time.

Reaction score
i was updating to 3.1, with iTunes 9, and after the install, iTunes gave me an "error with install on iPhone" and it needed to be restored to function. i am now restoring my phone...

:-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
i was updating to 3.1, with iTunes 9, and after the install, iTunes gave me an "error with install on iPhone" and it needed to be restored to function. i am now restoring my phone...

:-(
oh thats BAD the more reason for me not to update to 3.1 yet....im an apple idiot as i spend half my lire with windows os and its just recently (january 09) i bought my macbook pro so in cases of problems id be totally clueless...

thanks for the info now i have to wait further before updating although everytime i sync the phone, a notice always pop informing me to update to 3.1 i just cancell it everytime...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen that complaint over at macrumors; 3.1 leading to unresponsive device - Mac Forums

To be fair, I did a hard reset of my phone yesterday and it crashed. When I say crashed I mean it sat on the Black/White Apple screen for almost 15 min. When it finally came back on it worked fine. All the lagging is gone, texting is fine, Apps work well and it hasn't lagged/locked up since.

I have no idea why though...

OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
thats good to hear bud, maybe the phone need a reset upon updating? ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats good to hear bud, maybe the phone need a reset upon updating? ...

The phone automatically resets upon updating. I think the recovery from the crash is what helped me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just did the update myself today. The only issue I have noted (and I see other folks online complaining about this) is that the keyclick volume on the keyboard is dramatically reduced, and there does not seem to be any way to get it back to its original volume. Neither the soft nor the hard volume controls seem to have any impact on it. I am sure that it is a bug, and will be corrected in the inevitable next release.

Or, perhaps like the awful, awful glaringly WHITE background on iTunes 9, it is Apple's intent to reduce the volume of keyboard clicks? I sure hope not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For those with the iPhone 3G, have you noticed a speed improvement over 3.0? Also, have you noticed an improvement in reception or 3G speeds?

OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
I just did the update myself today. The only issue I have noted (and I see other folks online complaining about this) is that the keyclick volume on the keyboard is dramatically reduced, and there does not seem to be any way to get it back to its original volume. Neither the soft nor the hard volume controls seem to have any impact on it. I am sure that it is a bug, and will be corrected in the inevitable next release.

Or, perhaps like the awful, awful glaringly WHITE background on iTunes 9, it is Apple's intent to reduce the volume of keyboard clicks? I sure hope not!
Bud, as of this period, i have not updated my iphone 3gs OS3.0 to 3.1 what with all these i read about folks online...im happy and contented with my OS3.0 so i dont see the need for un update...

same here bud, I really hated the grlaringly while background when you try to look all the albums on your itunes with this version...why did they change the elegant black look of the background and changed into glaring while, perhaps when they release an update say 9.1 they return it back to black i just hope so...honestly the glaring white hurts my eye..

OP
ayeng98
Reaction score
For those with the iPhone 3G, have you noticed a speed improvement over 3.0? Also, have you noticed an improvement in reception or 3G speeds?
the speed with OS 3.0 is fast and fine with me so i dont see the need to update yet...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.