iMac vs MacPro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, White, 1.8GHz Power PC
Hi there,

I'd like to ask for some opinions on the usage of the iMac vs the MacPro in a professional environment if I may please. I work for a publisher and it is important that our designers can see their layouts well and accurately. We've used a range of iMacs and the old Power PC G5 towers in the past but in more recent years my boss has been happy to purchase the newer Aluminium iMacs. However, one of those models has recently had a problem with its VRAM and will not replicate colour tints properly.

While looking for a possible solution for this problem, I found that a few users on several forums were very critical of the newer iMacs, especially when it came to using them for graphical layout work. We've never had a problem with an iMac in the past, but the recent problem and criticism make me wonder if we should invest in MacPros for the future or if the iMac is still a solid Mac and this problem is just a one-off?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The advantage of going with the Mac Pro would be the fact that your display is external and if a defect was found with the display, it could be replaced with another one. With the integrated display of the iMac, you'd need to replace the entire unit to fix a display issue..

Regards

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, White, 1.8GHz Power PC
Sure, that's true, thanks. The Mac Pro is also very expandable for the user, whereas it seems all you can do with the newer iMacs is replace RAM.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Mac Pro is clearly directed as those who not only need a crazy amount of power, but also need the expandability for very pressing tasks. The iMac can be quite powerful, but is directed at people who enjoy the power out of the box without having to add anything extra..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.