Best order for Firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
All,
I did a search for this and really nothing special came up.

I have an external Blueray drive and 1 2TB External (movie and music storage) and 1 320GB external (time machine)

All Are Firewire capable

On my 13" MBP what would be the best order to connect them? Or does it even matter

I was going to go with DVD-2TB-320 but since the 2TB gets used alot for large files I started to doubt myself.

I don't really have alot of experience with Firewire.

Thanks,

Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
The MBP only has one Firewire port. Are you connecting just one device at a time, or are you going to connect via Firewire hub? As far as the device order goes, it should not make a difference. However, I have heard that the Apple DVD Player does not play from external drives. That may be a moot point if your external BluRay drive has its own software, though..

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
The MBP only has one Firewire port. Are you connecting just one device at a time, or are you going to connect via Firewire hub? As far as the device order goes, it should not make a difference. However, I have heard that the Apple DVD Player does not play from external drives. That may be a moot point if your external BluRay drive has its own software, though..

Nope, all at the same time, currently I have just my 2TB and the 320 daisy chained, i was asking how to include the DVD drive into the chain.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Firewire external hard drives typically have two ports to allow for daisy-chaining.

As far as performance goes, I would tend to think (although I have no evidence of it) that the drive closest to the host of the chain would have the greater benefit since it wouldn't have to relay data through another device.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firewire external hard drives typically have two ports to allow for daisy-chaining.

As far as performance goes, I would tend to think (although I have no evidence of it) that the drive closest to the host of the chain would have the greater benefit since it wouldn't have to relay data through another device.

Yes, my Western Digital 2TB has the two ports, and I currently have a seagate 320GB hooked (which only has one port) to the second port, my external DVD drive has 2 as well, i think i'm just going to hook it together and see how things play out. I'll post what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I agree, any extra device in the chain will reduce response time, but you might not even notice .... however I would connect the device you use most often as the first in the chain

some1 above mentioned a hub, firefire doesn't support that, it's strictly point to point as far as I know :) that's the difference between firewire and usb - usb can be "branched" at a price of being a bit slower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
FireWire does not care about device ordering, nor does it get slower with additional devices. (Except, of course, if you have a FW400 device between your computer and a FW800 device.) That's why it's so useful, and why it's usually more expensive.

some1 above mentioned a hub, firefire doesn't support that, it's strictly point to point as far as I know
Nope. There are FireWire hubs, though they're not usually necesary as they are with USB. You'd only need them if you have several devices with only one port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.