Macbook Pro Built-In Battery

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum and also a new owner of a Macbook Pro 13".

This is actually my first laptop EVER... and I've heard (and also seen my friends do it) that it is better for the laptop's battery if you take it out when using the AC adapter unless you're charging it. Even if this is true, I know that with the new Macbook Pro's built-in battery, I am unable to take it out.

My question is: Would it be best for me to drain my battery out ALL the time and then use the AC adapter when the battery is drained? OR should I always use the AC adapter whenever I can?

Thanks.

PS: I know this is off topic but... those clear protective skin like BodyGuardz, do they make your Macbook lose heat less efficiently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
The recommended (per Apple) method for keeping your bettery in top shape is to fully drain it once every two months. The trick is that you have to let the computer get the the point where it displays a message about using reserve power, then leave it alone for about five hours after that to fully drain the battery.

As far as the skins go, I have one of the Speck cases on my MBP, and it doesn't seem to be affecting heat dissipation at all In fact, it might be helping because it keeps the body of the computer from resting flat on a table/work surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 13'' 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD
As far as I know (someone will let me know if I'm wrong) once the battery is charged in Macbooks, the power doesn't go to the battery but to the laptop so technically unlike older pc laptops keeping it plugged in with the battery in does not damage the battery. But yes, Apple recommends to calibrate the battery once a month or so and to occasionally use it unplugged to maintain it nice and healthy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.