Printer - Authentication Required

Reaction score
I have just switched back to a Mac after using a PC since 1995. I started on a Mac Plus but that is a whole other story.

We have 2 iMacs and 1 MacBook Pro. We have 2 printers - each iMac has a printer attached. I am networked using Airport Extreme. Here is the problem, I am unable to print to the printer on the other iMac - it puts it in the queue and then says it is holding as 'authentication is required." Both of the iMacs are doing this. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2007, MacMini 2009, MBP 2009, iPhone 3gs
I just got a mac mini and have shared my printer from that. When I try to print from my imac, it says the same thing about authentication.

Hope someone has an answer for you! ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
I called Apple today about this problem.They did not have an easy fix so they were going to escalate to the Leopard developers. I will post the solution once I get it.

OP
C
Reaction score
As promised - here is the solution:
1. Make sure you are running the newest SL update: 10.6.1
2. go to print/fax settings, right-click on the printers listed and reset all printers.
3. Add the printers back in, make sure sharing is turned on

Try a test print to the networked printer and it should work. This was the solution from Apple.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2007, MacMini 2009, MBP 2009, iPhone 3gs
Thanks for sharing Chris..

Reaction score
Doesn't work

Re-adding the printer changes nothing. Did Apple ever come up with a real solution?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.